Monday, September 11, 2006

We eat real food, I swear!

Man, looking back over my last string of posts, it looks like all we eat are sweets! Granted, this hasn't been the best streak for us, lately, but we do eat substantial food, too!


Dinner last night was sammiches! Whole grain bread with hummus on one side and an olive tapenade on the other, some lettuce and a simple warm chickpea filling in the middle. I mashed up a can of chickpeas with 2 minced sundried tomatoes, some Italian spices and some sauteed onions and garlic. I lightly fried the mixture in a tablespoon or so of grapeseed oil and voila! I couldn't resist lightly toasting the assembled sandwiches to make the outside crispy. I also dropped a hint to Jim about how cool it would be to have a panini press. Our wedding anniversary is next month, so who knows. ;)


Dinner tonight was acorn squash stuffed and surrounded by a simple rice pilaf: brown jasmine rice with rubbed sage, onions, garlic powder and salt. Simple, but tasty and filling.


I've been meaning to share with you all a birthday present I bought myself recently. This necklace was made by our very own Leslie ! I'm not a big jewelry person, but I have a few necklaces that are really just chains with pendants. At Herbivore I wear t-shirts every day and I wanted something I could wear casually, but would dress up my look a little more. I really like this necklace because it a) matches everything b) has a slight retro flair, like a contempory take on the classic string of pearls and c) is just plain pretty! It's also nice because I have a sensitivty to metals and I can't normally wear a necklace more than 2 days out of the week without my neck reacting, but because this is made from stone beads, I can wear it every day. That's enough about my wear skin reactions to metals! TMI!


Here's a cute picture I took of Linus the other day. He's laying on top of this foam that we have to put over our not-so-comfortable guest bed (it's very comfortable with the foam). We havent' set up the bed yet, and Jim bungied the foam into a giant spiral that Linus has taken to nesting in. I was sitting near him the other day and it slowly started to tip over so I reached out and grabbed it quick and he looked up at me as if to say "Mom! You're bothering me!" Totally unaware! Silly cat.

9 comments:

Harmonia said...

Hi! I was just given an acorn squash! I was thinking about doing a veggie and rice stuffing. How long do you suggest baking it for and at what temp? jw

Kris said...

I cut it in half and baked it, cut sides down on a baking sheet, at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. Pretty simple and yummy!

Shananigans said...

Haven’t seen any winter squash at the markets yet here. Guess it’s too early for that in SoCal yet. Can’t wait for butternut, it’s really great with spinach pilaf, yum!

Beautiful necklace :)

Eat Peace Please said...

Great post Kris! Thanks for sharing your necklace and I agree about how it can be dressed up or down and go with anything.

Your food looks great, I like the squash idea, but not the squash (hee hee, I'm bad!). And that chickpea filling is a simple, wonderful idea, thanks for sharing.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with posting about only sweets! I swear, I eat regular food too.

Anonymous said...

I've been offline due to a pc being repaired, and I come back to.....those cakes...those cakes...those banana/peanut butter and carrot cakes. Inhaling her computer screen.

And the lovely Linus pic.

Anonymous said...

First i read that you work at Herbivore...then I noticed the start of you last post saying you spent your birthday with Isa...and I thought MAN, I want this girl's life!!!!!!!!!!

KleoPatra said...

Leslie's necklace (now yours!) is gorgeous!! Linus would appear to be WAY comfy. Way to go, Linus.

Nothin' wrong with sweets, but even i burn out after a while and crave savory. I like what you made! Yummy sandwich and gorgeous acorn squash with the fixin's!

Nice!!

Kris said...

Shananigans, spinach pilaf? That sounds awesome! I need to look into that...

Leslie, you don't like squash? Like I ask Jim everytime he says he doesn't like something: how many kinds have you tried and how many times? That surprises me!

Anon, thanks for tuning back in, I hope your computer is better!

Megan, my previous post title is misleading, I didn't spend my birthday with Isa, I just spent it eating her recipes! That alone is a good birthday treat.

Kleopatra, I hear you on sugar burnout. I am done for awhile. Just too much all at once. Now I just want yummy rolls and soups and substantial things.

Jen said...

That IS a great necklace! I also can't wear metal jewelry. I pretend like it's my superhero power: I corrode metal. I like to think that if I was ever handcuffed, I could eventually destroy the metal and break free.