Sunday, September 10, 2006

My Birthday with Isa

My birthday was yesterday and Jim spent an abnormal amount of time (for him) in the kitchen with Vegan with a Vengeance making me breakfast and a cake. I woke up to some delicious Fronch Toast, made with some really dense Panatta bread that I picked up at Trader Joe's.



Then, I went to work (Josh and Michelle had a wedding to go to) and Jim spent the afternoon making Isa's Chocolate Raspberry Blackout Cake.



Jim has made one cake from a box mix when we first started dating and that is literally the only experience he has with baking, so I was a little worried that he would get frustrated with it, but it turned out delicious! I was so impressed and although he won't admit it, I think he is too. And he should be!



We went out with some friends last night to see a favorite band of mine, who happened to be in town, Hem. Ollabelle opened for them, it was a really great show. Then we went and grabbed some vegan pizza at It's a Beautiful Pizza and came home for cake.




This is a pillow that the cats gave me for my birthday. It's from Global Exchange, a fair trade store in town. I love it!



And here is breakfast this morning. I need to go grocery shopping, so I didn't have much to work with in the vegetable department, so our tofu scramble only had zucchini in it, alongside some rosemary potatoes and some apple slices and tangerine juice. I love these tofu twin packs they sell at Trader Joe's, they are great for cooking for one or two people, because they are split into two servings, so you just break off half of the container and cook and the other half is still sealed. No draining/soaking/storage worries, they're perfect!

9 comments:

Eat Peace Please said...

Happy Birthday Kris. Sounds like you had a great day yesterday. Ok, you must show Jim the comments because I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of them. That cake looks heavenly! I have read that recipe many times and (since I don't use the oven) I was thinking about making only the frosting, hee hee. It is very impressive, especially the frosting spread evenly, the layers and everything about it.

As for the rest of the food, I still haven't been able to save any bread to make the french toast. I seem to eat it all up too fast. It looks really good, and that tofu scramble is the most un-scrambly one I've ever seen. I still haven't tried one yet, but if I do, I'll cut it like that because the mush doesn't look good to me.

Lastly, I love how your kitties got you a present!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday. it all looks fantastic. the cake is devine and the cat pillow is just so cute!

Anonymous said...

Feliz cumpleaƱos! the cake looks awesome!

Vanessa said...

Happy birthday Veggie Virgo! (me too - mine was on the 6th!)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so cool of Jim to whip you up such a nice breakfast and a beautiful cake. What a great guy. I don't know if I've said it to you before, but I think my heart would stop if I awoke and Marty was cooking me French Toast. And if I came home to a cake, I'd surely die (hopefully after I've had a piece).

The cake is incredible looking. The layers and the frosting. So terrific.

Happy Birthday!

Kris said...

Thanks everyone!

Leslie, Jim is rather proud of himself, and he should be! The cake turned out so well, now he has no excuse to not help me in the kitchen. I love that the cats got me a present, too. He usually thinks that kind of thing is dorky, but it was appropriate. Plus, if they knew, I think they'd want to get me something, being that I'm the buyer of food, the giver of bites of toast and all-around spoiling mom. One year Ravi gave me a backrub for my birthday, he started kneading my back when the alarm went off. Such a cutie!

Thanks Megan! The cake was great and now I just need to find the perfect place to put the pillow.

Thanks Johanna!

Vanessa, Virgos rule! I'm glad I also married one, very compatable personalities.

Vivacious, if I hadn't asked for him to bake me a cake (it was a request) I know it wouldn't have happened. The breakfast thing was the huge surprise. What is up with our boys not cooking? Jim doesn't play into many other stereotypical male gender role things, but cooking is a big one. What gives?

Shananigans said...

Wow, what a birthday! Great looking cake, I would fall over if my bf ever baked something for me that did not come out of a box. Cooking he does on occasion, but not so much with the baking.

primaryconsumer said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Wow, the Fronch toast and the cake are amazing!

KleoPatra said...

Oh, that cake! WOW!!!

Happy birthday to you!! Hope you have a great year ahead!