Tuesday, September 05, 2006

5 Foods

Okay, everyone is doing this 5 foods thing, so I have to add my 2 cents.

Hmmm, this isn't the easiest thing to come up with and would probably change everyday for me, really.

I'm going to cheat a little bit, because some of my foods are compound foods, you'll see what I mean.

1.) Perfectly ripened D'Anjou pear slices with almond butter. I like it even more than apples and peanut butter. Mix up the nuts in your life and try it sometime.

2.) Pick-your-own black raspberries. I love black raspberries more than any other berry. I grew up with them along the side of my grandfather's house. They are tart like a raspberry, but sweet like a blackberry and there is nothing like crushing them on the roof of your mouth while they are still warm from the sun. Nothing.

3.) Yams. I gotta back up Dreena on this one. Give me a yam or a sweet potato, I don't care, I'll eat 'em both! Baked with the skins on until tender, cut open and topped with a small pat of EB and some sea salt. OMG.

4.) Fresh baked wheat bread. The aroma. The crust. The softness. Honestly, I could give up the sweets, but I could never become a raw foodist because of bread.

5.) Hummus. I think that there is a kind of hummus for everyone and I honestly think my quality of life would decrease if I couldn't have hummus anymore. With warmed pita bread, just smeared on there... Whew! It's getting hot in here!

Okay, now I'm seriously hungry. Gotta go!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great list. I never would have thought about pears with almond butter but the next time I get some pears, I'll give it a try.

I agree with the black raspberries. Incredible.

Do you have a good wheat bread recipe? I just can't seem to get wheat bread to turn out right.

Shananigans said...

I just finished my list, I’d have to say I could pull up a different fave five list daily as well, so much food to love! I’m very fond of hummus, and I am very excited about how much more hummus I can make now that I have a big food processor. Pears and almond butter sounds divine. I never knew there was such a thing as black raspberries, I wonder if it’s the same as the berries my grandmother refers to as blackcaps? We had a big red raspberry patch out back when I was a kid, I love eating berries off the vine.

Kris said...

Vivacious, I'm still tweaking a wheat bread recipe. It's really difficult to get harder kinds of wheat to get the right elasticity, you know? I'm actually going to work on it again this weekend. Pesky bread... :)

Hey Shananigans, black raspberries are also called blackcaps. I think it's a regional thing. They look and grow just like raspberries, they just have that dark blackberry color.

There is nothing like picking fresh food when you're a kid. You have no concept of how food is relaly made yet, so it's really exciting, like you created it yourself!

Anonymous said...

Dori at the thebakehouse.blogspot.com said that I should try "WHITE WHEAT (made by Montana Wheat) also called golden 86 ... this is a just another variation of a wheat. It is still whole grain and had the same nutritional info as red hard wheat BUT makes a baked good that has the texture and taste of "cheating and adding a little white flour"."

Melody at melomeals.blogspot.com has said that she substitutes 1/2-1 cup of vital wheat gluten for an equal amount of flour. She also said she usually uses 4-5 cups of flour total per loaf (instead of the usual 3).

I'm going to give Melody's suggestion a try and if that doesn't work, I'm going to try to find the white wheat (which in my remote area is pretty difficult - so I'll probably search online).

I really want to master wheat bread.

Kris said...

Vivacious, whole wheat pastry flour is the same thing as white wheat. It seems to be turning up more and more easily, so maybe you'll have luck!

KleoPatra said...

Hey, wonderful picks. I have not tried pears w/almond butter but that is something that i am sure i would love, so thank you for that head's up on something new (for me!)

I picked black raspberries like crazy when i was up in Humboldt County a few weeks ago. Wild. Oh, that was such a treat!

Yams rock my world. I finally freed my mind from memories as a child of them mushed up w/marshmallows (ugh) toasted on top.

The smell of baked wheat bread is like none other. Fresh bread is incredible. Soft and warm... crusty, mmmmmmmm.

Hummus is one of those wonderful things that you are right about everyone being able to find some type to enjoy. I don't think there is one i haven't liked. And with warm pita bread. OH YEAH!!! I'm all about it...

I like your new beta kitchen, kris. Wonderful!

Kris said...

thanks, kleopatra! My grandfather used to make yams with marshmellows and marichino cherries... it's gross but kind of nostalgic too. Last year I used the Rice Mellow Fluff on some yams and it worked great, it browned and everything.