Monday, September 04, 2006

Birthday Bash!

What do you think of the new layout? Much more subdued than the green... I switched over to the new Blogger beta and decided it was time for a change.

Jim's birthday was yesterday (yay!) and boy is he lucky! He didn't get just one, but TWO birthday cakes! What can I say, when inspiration strikes, it strikes and I just had to go with it.

I'd planned on making him a carrot cake, because that's his favorite kind of cake. But then I really wanted to work on a new recipe for a banana peanut butter cake. Lest you think that a banana peanut butter cake would be gross, let me calm your fears. Firstly, it's a delicate banana cake with a creamy frosting that has just a hint of peanut butter in it. Two layers are sandwiched together with a layer of frosting and thin banana slices in the middle. Yum. So I figured I'd make both and we'd be gluttons. But we're sharing, I promise. It would be obscene to eat all of this, especially since it's my birthday next weekend and we'll have even more cake happening then.


So, the banana peanut butter cake was served with slices of banana and a warm chocolate sauce on it. Ooh, I'm still stuffed from dinner tonight, but now I want some cake! I've always loved a good peanut butter and banana sandwich, but this takes it to a whole new level.



And this is the carrot cake. I've found that it's best to let carrot cake sit overnight because the spices really deepen and it tastes better. This was frosted with a Tofutti cream cheese frosting.


Here's a picture of the duo battling it out for counter space in my still-being-unpacked kitchen. They are both the same size, even though the picture makes the banana one look huge!


And here's a picture of the birthday boy! He's ohsohappy with his cakes!

6 comments:

Eat Peace Please said...

Kris! I haven't been able to comment. I'm scared of beta blogger. Your posts and cakes look great. I can't wait to one day try that banana peanut butter cake, it sounds heavenly. I like your new layout by the way.

Kris said...

Thanks, Leslie, I promise I'll make this cake when you come out to visit. It's super yum, probably my favorite combination of flavors ever.

Your computer just got fixed, Johanna, don't drool too much! ;) You're right, Jim is lucky. And spoiled!

Anonymous said...

I like the new layout. Very mellow.

The one problem with looking at all of these blogs is that I think it makes me overeat. I see all these yummy treats and just have to make them. Can't wait for the cookbook to come out.

Until then, I guess I'll have to tinker around and create something similar.

Vanessa said...

Ah! I’m jealous! It all looks fab: the cakes, the kitchen and your new blog layout. Very clean, nice colors too!

KleoPatra said...

Wow, Happy Birthday indeed!!! GREAT CAKES! The b'day boy looks happy, and who could blame him!?!!? Nice going!

Kris said...

he was indeed a happy boy. Too happy, it's time for a sugar detox!