Sunday, May 07, 2006

Pizza and Uncheesecake


Tonight I threw together a quick pizza, thanks to a stop at Trader Joe's. They sell premade pizza dough. All you need to do is let it warm up to room temperature, stretch it, dress it, and pop it in the oven. It doesn't quite bake up like homemade, but when we don't plan ahead it's a nice safety net to have for those pizza binges. I picked up the Italian Spices one this time. We used tomato sauce, some pesto, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes. On Jim's side there's a healthy sprinkling of black olives as well.


For dessert we had an uncheesecake with a chocolate cookie crust. The cake was topped off with some canned Morello cherries that I also picked up at TJ's today. This is an early incarnation of a vegan cheesecake that I'm working on. It's still missing something, good but not great. Poor me, I'll just have to keep making more cheesecakes until I perfect it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Mom made a great cheesecake. It's not vegan, so I don't know how you'd translate the ingredients. Most of it is normal cheesecake, but there is a very thin top layer based on sour cream that just makes the recipe.

Kris said...

I love cheesecake. SO. MUCH. I've always been a bit weirded out about mayo and sour cream in desserts, though. Even the vegan versions seem a bit skeery to me. :)

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a vegetarian, not a vegan, the problem with storebought mayonnaise is that it's almost all yucky. Only Hellman's (known as Best Foods in parts of the country) is good. A Waldorf salad with Hellman's is quite good, but don't overdue the mayonnaise or mayonnaise substitute - apples, walnuts, raisins, slices of celery, what's not to like :-)

The sour cream cuts the dense, sweet flavor of the cheesecake. I don't know what vegans substitute for sour cream to get that taste.

Kris said...

I was going to make Waldorf salad recently but I couldn't find organic red grapes around here for under $8 a pound. I like to make mine with vanilla soy yogurt.

I love the Tofutti Sour Cream. I've never tried making it with tofu, but it seems like it would be easy enough. I'll have to give it a go some time.

This cheesecake was made with a Tofutti Cream Cheese and soy yogurt base. I'm going to keep playing with it, though, so it may end up with some tofu in it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you need grapes in waldorf salad. I had actually forgotten they were in the recipe until you mentioned it. The other ingredients, I always have around, so I make it with just those.

Kris said...

No, my mom never put grapes in it so I didn't grow up eating it that way, but I have a friend that does and for me it's the perfect touch. Mmm, regardless, though, I think I will have to make some this weekend. It's really warm here (it hit 99 today!) and it will make a yummy summer side dish to a veggie burger or a wrap.

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»