Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Potatoes AuGratin


I've been dreaming of potatoes au gratin lately, so tonight I said "Kris, you're making potatoes". And gosh darn it, I did. I made a really simple "cheese" sauce by sauteing a medium onion, diced, with a tablespoon of crushed garlic in about 2 tablespoons of my recent oil of choice, grapeseed oil. When the onions looked clear I added about 2 tbsp of flour and mixed it to a paste. Then I added 2 cups of unsweetened soy milk and cooked it on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, until it thickened. Then I whisked in half a cup of nutritional yeast and a teaspoon of sea salt, mixed it well and removed it from the heat. I made 4 layers out of the potatoes, with a layer of sauce between each layer, in a 9x13 pan, greased. Baked it at 400 for about 30 minutes and mmm, it smelled great. On top, to counteract the starchiness, I steamed a bag of frozen veggies. A simple mix, some cauliflower, broccoli, green beans and carrots and then added a blob of spinach on top of that, for good measure. It made a great, comfort-foody dinner. And there are leftovers!


For dessert I had to indulge in my new vice, mango vanilla soy ice cream. SO GOOD. I made a little puree of some softened frozen papaya, mango and pineapple with the ice cream on top. Very yummy. Next time I think I'll add a little agave nectar drizzle on top of it all. Ooh and a sprig of mint, wouldn't that look pretty...

Okay, I'm off to daydream of food, but I'll leave you all with a picture of Bindhi and Linus watching Moussa the hamster this afternoon. Silly kitties...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cats are adorable!

Kris said...

It's actually pretty funny, she is not at all afraid of them. I'm not sure that she knows to be, although you think she would. When we let her run around in her plastic ball, she barrels right up to them and will try (and sometimes suceeds) to bite them through the slats. She especially likes Bindhi, Moussa will chase her all over the house. And the cats all run, I think they are pretty freaked out. I know that a hamster's eye sight is very poor when it's light out, so during the day I'm not even that sure she can see them because she doesn't react. She like voices, though, she always responds to mine and Jim's, rising up on her tiny back feet and sniffing us out, in hopes of some fresh seed or an apple chunk. They are such silly kids...

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»