Thursday, December 07, 2006

Where's the time going?

Wow, I am behind on everything. Firstly, I'm several posts behind on responding to your comments. For that, I apologize. I will catch up.

As I'm sure many of you are experiencing, it's that crazy, busy time of year. I'm in the middle of several holiday projects that are keeping me on my toes, and I'm up to my ears at Herbivore. It's actually rather fun, between holiday shopping and several new designs we have, I've been flooded with orders, but it's really fun packing them up, because I'm like Santa Claus. Except for the elves. And the sleigh. But I have a red hoodie and I'm pretty darn jolly this time of year!

My shortbread recipe is up on my recipes page. Enjoy! They are great for planning ahead, you can make the dough even several days ahead of time, refrigerate it and then you just have to slice and bake.

A few items from this week:

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Walnut cookies from an issue of Martha Stewart Living a few months ago. They were really tasty and were ridiculously easy to veganize, one of those recipes where you look at it and wonder why it wasn't vegan to begin with. It was like banana chocolate chip bread in cookie form. Yum.


These are the Peanuttiest Blondies that Crystal posted about, that she got from Vegan Diva. I made them with chunk peanut butter and didn't add the extra peanuts. Man, they were great. I sent the cookies and the bars to work with Jim, so the guys there got a (secretly) vegan treat and then I wouldn't be tempted to eat them all.

BTW, Jim isn't secretly a vegan at work, he just works primarily with pretty average guys and he just doesn't like to be singled out as the weird guy, because in his industry you don't really want to make yourself the center of attention for being "weird". If someone asks, though, he talks openly about it and has vegan-related bumper stickers on his car, etc.


This was my mini-bulk cooking this week, a throw-together Indian stew with some a saffron jasmine and quinoa blend. The stew was basically some sauteed onion, a large can of roasted tomatoes, some diced potatoes and carrots, lentils, water and garam masala. Very fragrant and hearty and a nice change up from eating so much soup!

17 comments:

Candi said...

MMM! I have not yet tried those Blondies! :( I keep seeing them and loving the photos of them... I think it's time! Lol! :)

Vanessa said...

Your throw-together stew looks wonderful...things kinds of things can be the most rewarding.

aTxVegn said...

I made those Peanuttiest Blondies too - they were amazingly good. Those Martha cookies look yummy too.

Anonymous said...

I sometimes wish Marty worked away from home so I could send him off with baked goodies also. I have to stop giving them to my neighbors because I'm sure they think I'm really weird.

The Martha cookies look great also! I was waiting for Marty in Lowes the other day and I saw a giant holiday cookie cookbook. I was very tempted to buy it because almost every recipe could have easily been veganized but I wound up passing. I may pick it up the next time I go though. They were all so beautiful!

Eat Peace Please said...

Blogger devoured up my comment yesterday...
Anyway, I said that you are killing me with the blondies Kris. Oh my goodness, they look amazing. If I had them here, I'd slather them all with your amazing frosting!

Everything looks great, and I'm with you, I need a change-up from soup... fast.

Anonymous said...

i post a commet but now is not there crazy LOl.

all looks so good yum!

Anonymous said...

That stew really looks good, and not "stewy." For a sec I thought the tomato was a dried apricot, not a bad idea if I do say so myself, chopped up dried apricots in it.

laura k said...

That all looks so good--those blondies would be right up my alley... The Martha cookies look incredible as well. And I love the look of that stew! Would make a nice, warm, filling meal for a night such as this (cold and lazy).

Brooke said...

I will have to try your shortbread recipe! Thanks for posting it! Oh, and delicious lookin' blondies, too! :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I tried the Vitasoy choc and peppermint drink. Not so good, imho. The peppermint has a really offputting taste to it.

bazu said...

Is that a combo. of rice and quinoa? What a brilliant idea!

And the sweets, needless to say, are making me swoon.

Good luck with all your holiday projects and work!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Yeah, I'm with bazu, rice and quinoa combined - very impressive.

I'm getting overwhelmed with the holiday season myself, it's just so depressing and uplifting at the same time..and taking my money..

erica said...

Yum! Did you cook the quinoa with the rice, in the same cooker?

Anonymous said...

There's a very nice MIddle Eastern takeout/mini restaurant place in East Greenwich, RI. I had a falafel wrap today and they had the best falafel ever, They seem to have fried them just a bit after baking, so the outside was crisp. Usually falafel are okay, but tend to be somewhat dry. These were yummy.

Now if they just had mujadarrah, a nice plate of mujadarrah with hummus on the side...

Anonymous said...

I don't advertise the whole veg thing at work either. But I'm lucky and we have other people who don't eat meat here (well 1 other person).

I'd LOVE one of those chocolate chip oatmeal cookies!

Teddy

Anonymous said...

Hi from London , u.k .Found your blog today & i'm very happy ! Some fantastic recipies & photos , i'm all inspired & off to bake.I have 2 rescued cats as well so nice to see your cat pics.Best wishes,jay

Emmy said...

That's great you tried the Peanuttiest Blondies too. I really like the Dorie Greenspan cookbook they came from. So far, all the recipes I've tried from it have been winners.

I made the Banana Oatmeal CC cookies from MSL a few months ago and they were so good. The cookies freeze really well too.

The Indian Stew looks hearty and very tasty :)