Monday, December 18, 2006

Quickie Post

Sorry for the gap in posts, but I've been very busy, as I know many of you have been as well. I will be back to a more regular posting schedule after the holiday buzz dies down. We went to Seattle this last weekend to see my brother-in-law and his wife and we definitely did a little eating tour of Seattle, as well as a shopping tour! And, forgetful as I am, I forgot my camera up there! Max is sending it down and I will be doing a Seattle post. We ate at a handful of delicious restaurants and picked up some cool finds, including a stack of new vinyl. Right now I'm listing to "Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk", which is Star Wars music ala disco. So freaking cool.

And now, a quick post.

Brunch a few weekends ago, Susan's fat free quiche adapted with what we had on hand, some sundried tomatoes and zucchini.

On the side we had tempeh crumbles and a throw-together fruit salad with a can of pineapple, banana, vanilla soy yogurt and some ground flaxseed. Firstly, can you say "Soy, oh soy"? The quiche were good, but too good, really. They were so egg-like I made it through half of one and I couldn't eat any more. I imagine that if you were baking a brunch for omni's this would be a hit.

A Christmas surprise last week from a great customer of ours, Diane.

Vegan truffles! Wingnut Confections are vegan, made locally and delivered to their retail outlets by bike. It doesn't get any more Portland than that! They were heavenly, literally the best vegan truffles I've ever had. Hazelnut, marionberry, peppermint and Earl Grey. Yummmmm.

We went with Chris and Kate to go see Howard Hugues' flying boat, more widely known as the "Spruce Goose" a couple of weekends ago.

It was so enormous that we couldn't take a picture of the entire plane. The museum was built to fit it and all the other planes are sheltered by its massive presence. Wow. It was a very cool museum and the Goose was great. If you're ever near McMinnville and you have any appreciation for design, aviation or just general geekery, make the stop.

Okay, more soon. I hope you're all weathering winter and the holidays well!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and the kitties.

Anonymous said...

Kris:

Glad to see you're back posting! Hope you and Jim have a wonderful holiday, and I look forward to seeing your Seattle photos.

Jennifer

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

There you are! ; )
I look forward to the Seattle post, as I'm going there for my first time in a couple weeks~
Those truffles put the ones I made last night to shame!

Freedom said...

WOw EVERYONE seems to be making those quiches - they do look pretty realistic!
That plane is huge!
Merry Christmas!

Brooke said...

Do you really think that the quiches will fool a hard-core omni? I may try it with my parents when they visit here, but if they are even remotely tofu-ey, I guarantee my mom will spit it out dramatically. I was never a egg quiche fan, so I doubt I would be a good tester for it....

I love Seattle, can't wait to hear about your experience!

aTxVegn said...

I'm trying to play funky Star Wars tunes in my head, but I can't quite get there.... How fun.

I made those quiches too. I loved them!

What a great gift of truffles-they are beautiful.

laura k said...

I know everyone's extremely busy right now--it's great to see a post from you! I loved those mini quiches--quiche is the one manifestation of egg that I have missed on occasion... but not anymore.

(Brooke, by the way, I DO think there's a good chance that these quiches could fool someone--definitely didn't taste like tofu to me...)

Those truffles look so special--I just made some and they are oh so tasty, but not that beautiful, I am afraid.

Your airplane story and pic reminded me of the movie "Top Gun." Hehe.

Anonymous said...

How about some kitty pictures at Christmas, if your camera phone is back by then?

Anonymous said...

Have a great holidays!

Anonymous said...

Those truffles are so beautiful. I just made some myself but have a lot of practice before they look that pretty. I love all of the different flavors. I've always wanted to see the Spruce Goose. Maybe some day I'll get up that way. I hope you have a happy holiday!

Kris said...

A mass response:

Hi everyone! It's good to see that other people are up and kicking!

I'll have my Seattle post up soon, as well as a kitty holiday post.

The quiches are really realistic, but if you're concerned doa test run and have your hubby give them a whirl, Brooke. Or a neighbor. I thought they tasted just like egg, probably why the aeseptic Mori-Nu is used, not just regular water-packed tofu.

The truffles were incredible! I wish the holidays were going to last longer so I could justify making the truffles that you made, Crystal!