Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Food, squirrelly food,a squirrel and Whatcha Eatin' #4!

Yay for productivity! Today I got our front entry way painted, ran some errands, sewed and started up a shop at Etsy to sell my tofu pouches and some other stuff that I'm working on. If you're not familiar with Etsy, it's a really great outlet if you make stuff and it's a wonderful place to find one-of-a-kind gifts and support independant crafters.

Last night for dinner we had black bean burritos.

Simple tortillas with some black beans, lettuce, salsa, Tofutti sour cream, guac and on Jim's some shredded cashew cheese that I made last week. Simple and yummy.

For a Halloween dessert I made Dreena's carmel sauce from Vive and served it with a sliced Jonagold.

It was very good, but I used rice milk and it left a bit of an aftertaste, so next time I will use soy.

Today I wanted something slightly sweet, but not too sweet and nothing that required leaving the house for ingredients. I tend to get stuck on a cookbook and continue making things from it, so once again I turned to Vive. When I saw the title for the Squirrely Scones, how could I say no to that?

Very good. Spread a little more than they rose, but that was my fault, because I only had half of the amount of baking powder and I added some more baking soda to compensate, but I didn't have any cream of tartar to mix in, which leads me to...

Whatcha Eatin' #4: Cream of Tartar
Growing up I always thought that cream of tartar was related to tartar sauce, which repulsed me, so I would omit it from recipes. Cream of tartar is actually acidic residue that is a biproduct of wine. CoT is acid from grapes that is neutralized with potassium. CoT is the activator in many kinds of baking powder, which is why when you're in a pinch you can replace baking powder by mixing equal parts baking soda and cream of tartar.

I was able to catch Mr. Squirrel moments before crawling down, snatching a peanut and making a getaway... and then coming back in 2 minutes to steal another one.


Product review!

My brother-in-law sent us this popcorn from Seattle, but it's actually from Hawaii, but was purchased at an Asian grocery. Confused yet? It's called Hawaiian Hurricane Popcorn: Mochi Crunch and Nori. I was really pleased to see that some label reading was done to ensure that it was vegan (although it was sent to us wrapped with a bow made out of feathers on top, but hey, he's trying). First you pop the popcorn and dump it into a provided bag and then add the mochi crunch and nori bits. Then you open the "buttery sauce" which isn't very healthy (partially hydrogentated oils), but I figure for as seldom as we consume hydrogenated oils, we'll live. Jim was a little Noried out after a little bit, but I really enjoyed it. It was lightly sweet and lightly salty and a little greasy and oceany tasting. I guess oceany isn't usually a positive way to describe something, but it's seaweed, so what do you expect? I think we'll enjoy the rest of it on movie nights, with some cold cans of Blue Sky.

8 comments:

Eat Peace Please said...

Great post Kris. That's nice (and inspiration for me) that you set up the Etsy shop.

I think of you everytime I see those scones in Vive! I can't believe you just now got around to them. They look really good and so does that apple dip.

Your squirrel buddy is super-cute with his peanuts. Did you see the black squirrel on Kleo's blog?

erica said...

That is a fat lookin' squirrel! They must love to have you around :)

I am just now aquiring a taste for nori, I used to dislike the fishy taste and avoided sushi like the plague, but I'm starting to enjoy it more. I haven't yet branched out into nori flavored snacks, though.

I have a friend from college with an Etsy shop. I'll check yours out shortly. Is it hard to set it up?

Anonymous said...

OMG, I have to stay away from Etsy. I went by there a couple of months ago looking for an apron and just about died. THere were so many awesome vendors with the cutest wares that I got super sidetracked & couldn't even begin to choose an apron so I just left empty handed.

I think your tofu purse was really fun and cute and I'm happy for you that you're going to start selling them on Etsy. I wish I was more crafty and could sew better.

KleoPatra said...

Wow. I can really appreciate that squirrel shot. Tried a few times to capture the black ones when i was in Canada. NOT EASY! This is such a cute photo of the critter.

Not familiar (yet) w/Etsy but will check it out. Cool link, thank you.

Caramel sauce from Dreena with the Jonagold... hello, sweet tooth. I so would have loved that!!

I have to thank you for the info on the cream of tartar. I did like you... never used it. Who knew its background and what it is? YOU DID! Thanks for finding out and sharing.

Burrito looks beautiful, too. Great colourful mix of healthy stuff. YUM!

Candi said...

The foods look so good. The caramel sauce is a good idea - I have not tried that one yet!

I had never heard of Etsy, and appreciate the link! I just went there and must have spent about 20 minutes scrolling through their purses! Lol! I think I need to stay away. So cute.

Squirrely Scones! Perfect for you.

The seattle, hawaiian, asian market popcorn looks good! :)

laura k said...

Thanks for the information about cream of tartar--I never knew what it was either. Your tofu pouches are adorable and should be a marvelous success!

Great post! I'm glad you tried the Squirrely Scones--I've passed that recipe many times and thought about you. :)

Kris said...

Les, thanks. I don't know why I haven't made those scones before. I did see the black squirrel, so cute!

Erica, if you think that squirrel is fat, you should see this other one. We call him "Gus Gus" after the fat mouse in Cinderella. The Etsy store was super easy to set up, much easier than maintaining a blog.

Thanks Crystal! Etsy really can suck you in, there's so much great stuff on there!

Maybepigs, you should totally make those scones, they are very tasty for breakfast.

Kleopatra, that was a lucky shot out of about 30! I had my camera on sport mode, so it could react better to action. I have lots of blurry shots, though.

Candi, you should try the caramel sauce. But I don't reccomend using rice milk at all! It tasted so weird the next day that I had to throw it out, so I never got to try it on ice cream! :(

Laura, thanks! It's funny that I'm so synonomous with squirrels here (I am for obvious reasons, though), I do love them, but I'm known as a crazy cat lady to most people. But that would probably be the same for many of us here!

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is just a shot in the dark, but I'm trying to find where in Seattle to buy the Hurricane popcorn! Do you know what Asian store your brother bought the popcorn from?

Much thanks!
feiya.wang@gmail.com