Monday, November 06, 2006

Comfort food, festival eats, and bulk cooking.

Last Friday when I went to Food Fight Chad gave me a little treat. Locally we are blessed to have an incredible vegan bread company called Dave's Killer Bread. It is the most wonderful bread you could imagine. There are several different varieties, including wheat-free, and I love them all. Well, I guess Dave tried making some mini baguette style loaves and brought them in to Chad as a treat and he was kind enough to share the wealth with me. I knew exactly what I was going to do with it, so I picked up some chik'n nuggets while I was there.


I finally tracked down the vegan Caesar dressing I'd gotten hooked to in Phoenix! I thought it would be easy to find here, but it was not. So I used this delicious loaf of Good Seed bread to make 2 spectacular chik'n Caesar salads with it. Yes, it's faux meat, but this is a serious comfort food for me. Back in the day I would eat chik'n Caesar day in and day out and this bread! Oh, it was incredible! We had some Mexi-Snacks with them, which are kind of like vegan Doritos. Dave's brother owns the company Nature Bake, which also makes bread (not all varieties are vegan), as well as the kick-ass vegan cookies I reviewed for the latest Herbivore.

Saturday for work I went to a Give Green gift event with about 60 other vendors. It was meant as a way to get out there and buy things that are local and ethical for your holiday shopping. Portland may be a vegan mecca, but it's also full of meat-eating enviromentalists who aren't always receptive to what we're doing, so I was a little worried about how the festival would go. I was relieved, however, when I saw that Blossoming Lotus was going to be there, as well as a vegan bakery and chocolate maker. Yay! So I had plenty to eat all day.

Raw cashew hummus with raw seed crackers. Very, very good.


And this, well, it looks gross, but it was great! Cauliflower enchilada with green sauce on top. I'm not all sure what was going on in it, but it was super good and a new way to have cauliflower, for sure. Jim hates cauliflower, but loves Mexican food, so maybe I can sneak some in that way.

Yesterday Jim spent the day, while I was at work, lovingly cleaning the kitchen so it was spotless when I got home. Today, I lovingly destroyed it while doing another batch of bulk cooking. Last week I made a stew and a chili, so this week I opted for pilaf and soup.


This pilaf is a hodgepodge of an herbed basmati rice mix from Trader Joes, some quinoa, frozen peas, sauteed onion and red lentils. I had some extra firm tofu to use up, so I cut it into strips and marinated it in some toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, crushed garlic, sage and rosemary. I baked it for about 40 minutes, turning it every 10. Jim can't eat things quite as plainly as I can, so I imagine he'll be drenching these containers in teriyaki sauce, but it will be tasty all the same.


And I made some corn chowder at Jim's request and I got to use a fun new item I bought at Trader Joes last night: green garbanzos! Those green blobs that look like peas are actually garbanzo beans! I couldn't resist trying them, even though they weren't organic. They are slightly softer and more moist than a regular garbanzo, but basically taste the same. They're definitely more colorful than the usual beige, though. I wonder how gross green chickpea gravy would look...

Tonight we went on a weekday date, which is something we never do. We went to our absolute favorite restaurant, Ya Hala, for dinner. This isn't the best picture, but it gives you an idea.

Clockwise we have: falafel with tahini sharing a plate with some lightly fried cauliflower, baba ganouj, an bowl of olives, fresh, puffy pita bread, veggie kibbeh (my favorite!!!), tabouli, and hummus. Including a 25% tip this spread costs us a mere $20. The kibbeh is AMAZING! It looks kind of unappealing, in person it looks kind of like raw hamburger, but it's a tomato and bulgur pate that rawks my sawks like none other. Ya Hala is really close to our house and because it's so cheap we eat there a lot.

After dinner we walked down the block to a renovated movie theater from the 40's and saw "The US vs. John Lennon". Even if you don't like or don't care about John Lennon, the cultural and political events surrounding this movie, that time period and those issues so eerily echo what is happening today, I high recommend seeing it. If you like John Lennon, well, that's just a bonus. It's less a movie about John Lennon than it is about him being a high profile supporter of dissent and peace during an adminstration that was not too happy about free speech. Sound familiar?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That hummus plate from ya hala is lovely. What's the red and green garnishes, parsley and?

This reminds me of a restaurant review in the Palo Alto Weekly a few years ago, where the reviewer complained that a hummus plate had "oil in it" :-)

Eat Peace Please said...

Kris, thanks for the info on the movie. Yes, the main point *does* sound familiar. That restaurant food looks like my kinda deal too. I love all that stuff.

Green garbanzos really look like peas! That's crazy but good to know the taste is similiar. I'd like to see some green hummus, or you could certainly jazz up anything with those!

Your corn chowder and pilaf looks wonderful. I like the thrown together pilaf with so much goodness in it.

That raw hummus/cracker plate looks wonderful. The hummus almost looks like ice cream!

Oh, and you are so lovingly lucky to have your man clean the kitchen. Maybe I should email this blogpost to Ray (he!). Wonderful post Kris!

erica said...

Hehee- Loving destruction is the best kind :D

I wanted to do some bulk cooking last weekend, but went out of town instead. This weekend though, I'm there. The kitchen had better watch out!

aTxVegn said...

Hey, I'm a first-timer here.

All the food, homemade and dine-out, looks so delicious. If I ever get to take a vacation, I really want to go to Portland and visit Blossoming Lotus and Food Fight.

I live in Texas and love cauliflower, so that enchilada looks awesome!

Freedom said...

i don't know the $US to $AUS conversion but $20 for that sounds cheap in every language! I have to say though, those raw crackers are hummus look like where i would be at! YUM!
I haven't even heard of that movie but when it gets to Aus I think I'll be there!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Oh my goodness Ya Hala looks freaking amazing. I am sad to say I haven't gone yet.
I wanted to go the the Give Green but alas, I was sick this weekend. Looking forward to the Vegan Holiday Fest on Saturday, though! This will be my first time at something of a vegfest, and not being a volunteer (still wiped).

By the way - you asked where Junior's was - it's on SE 12th between SE Hawthorne and SE Division.

Hannah said...

That Hummis sounds great! altime fav dip!
Amber

Anonymous said...

For some darn reason I can't see your pics. Bummer. I'll definitely check back cause everything sounds delicious! Can't wait to see those green garbanzos.

Candi said...

Raw cashew hummus with raw seed crackers sound and looks so good! I think the cauliflower one does too though.

Green garbanzo beans?! Fun! I'll have to get to TJ's and get some! Thanks for the tip!

Your date night looks great! I love all the foods you have there.

I love John Lennon, and didn't know about that movie. I like the concept, even if it's not completely about John himself. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

Oh the Middle Eastern Food looks incredible. I love Middle Eastern food so much. When I went to the Chicago area last week, there is this one place that makes Mama Ganouj which is made with Zucchini instead of Eggplant. It was so good. It's the only place I've ever found it.

The tofu and pilaf looks so tasty. My kind of meal.

Julie said...

I love this post!

All of the food looks so tasty...especially your pilaf and tofu-YUM!

I want to go to Ya Hala--there food looks so tasty and whata bargain! I will for sure keep that place in mind if I am lucky enough to visit Oregon anytime soon. :)

Kris said...

Hi Anon! The red garnish was paprika. LOL, complaining about oil... that food reviewer needs a lesson in world cooking!

Thanks, Les! Believe me, that cleaning doesn't come too often and it's hard nagged, I mean, earned!

Hey Erica! Your kitchen better be prepared! You can glutenize it!

Welcome, aTxVegan! Come visit Portland! You can even go to the grocery stores here and get vegan, gluten-free pieces of cake! That's how accomidating it is!

Hey Freedom, thanks!

Jess, you HAVE to go to Ya Hala. We should meet there for lunch sometime.

Amber, ain't that true, hummus is yummus!

Crystal, how weird that the pics aren't coming up! I hope you can see them now!

Hey Candi! Where in WA are you living now? I'm glad you have a TJ's by you. I don't know how i lived for so long without one.

Emmy, that Mama Ganouj sounds cool!

Thanks, Julie. I finally feel happy with how I'm making tofu. It's taken me awhile.

Mama Fabun said...

Your tofu looks really tasty. And though I love tofu I don't often think that about it.

Anonymous said...

hey check out http://www.clearwatercountry.com for some good recipes!!