Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Let the food begin!

Okay, folks, here it is. We had our official grand opening this weekend so of course there was food! I shared baking duty with Lisa from Sweet Pea Baking, so there were plenty of sweets to go around!


Lisa made the best baklava I've ever had, vegan or otherwise, and an assortment of different rugalachs. The cherry one was killer. Lisa also makes the world's best cheesecake. If you ever come to Portland, or if you live here, seek out whatever place is serving her cheesecake because it is phenomenal. Turtle cheesecake? Yes please!


This is the lemon almond torte that I made in mini form for a SHAC7 benefit awhile back. This time it was jazzed up with more raspberries and some almond slivers.


There cupcakes were fun to make with these cool star-shaped cupcake tins I found recently. I made the chocolate cake recipe from my Black Forest Cake and the same chocolate frosting as well.

I also make the Banana Peanut Butter Frosting Cake that I made for Jim's b-day recently. I didn't get a good pic of it, but it wasn't too long ago, so you all remember!


These were made for my co-worker, Jessie's, husband. He has severe food allergies and can only eat limited things. It was too sad for me to think of there being a vegan amongst vegans who couldn't eat anything there, so I made him some cookies with ingredients he could eat. They are based on raw cookies, with the outer shell being made out of dates. I mashed the dates and mixed in a 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to make them taste fudgey. I then made a nut butter center with some cashew butter, agave nectar and ground almonds to make it set up a little more. I flattened out a round of dates, added a scoop of the cashew mixture, sealed all the balls up and rolled them in cocoa powder to keep them them from sticking together. Adam seemed pretty excited and I thought they turned out rather well. I might make them again soon for us to have around the house, since you can just keep them in the fridge.


This was a sundried tomato garbanzo bean dip from a newer vegan cookbook called ExtraVeganZa! It was really delcious, I will definitly be making it again.


And of course, would a party be a party without one of Dreena's dips? Here is the Cannellini Bean Yam Hummus. Mmmm, it was so good, people were just raving over it. It was a nice smokey and creamy counterpart to the slight more sweet and gritty garbanzo dip.


And, on a more substantial note, dinner last night. Butternut squash filled with a basmati and wild rice pilaf I got from Trader Joe's and some mashed potatoes with Earth Balance on the side. Very tasty. I think squash is growing on me, while Jim eats it "because it's good" for him. I have a spaghetti squash sitting here, any ideas? It's a bit intimidating.

Also, for those who are wondering, I got a lot of work done on the book yesterday, so I'm hoping to have the first draft done within a week! Yay!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That all looks great, esp. the squash.

I am not a fan of spaghetti suash. I cooked one once, and my brain kept expecting it to taste like spaghetti, but it doesn't.

Maybe in your copious free time you can post the namescof the recipes that will be in the book, then if a fav is left out, we can beg :-)

Put in those Danish from the Herbivore blog, and the two cakes from Jim's birthday, and I am a happy woman ;-)

Carla said...

OMG!! What a beautiful feast!

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

congrats on the big opening. everything looks amazing.

as for spaghetti squash, it's easily my favorit to make. I used to just roast it in the oven until tender (but have micro'd it a couple of times and it's fine that way, too), scraped out the stringy innards with a fork, and then top it like pasta with red sauce, but recently found that the artichoke pesto on vivacious vegan's blog mixed in and then topped with sundried tomatoes, walnuts, and some nutritional yeast is phenomenal for this squash. I have a pic of it on my blog if you want to check it out. I actually just picked up another squash to make it again this week!

I love the subtle sweetness of the squash and the al dente-like texture.

I've even used up the last of the squash by mixing it with Earth Balance, some Tofutti better than sour ceam, and nutritional yeast and it was a great meal that way, too (if not as healthy!)

Ok, I think it's obvious that I'm in love with this squash. I'll stop rambling now. :)

KleoPatra said...

Wow! Kris, you are amazing, woman! Look at all that great stuff. I absolutely love the starry cupcakes. How cute! The torte is simply stellar to look at... artwork, truly.

I am boring with spaghetti squash... usually boil it for about 20 minutes and peel out the seeds, comb out the squishy bulky innerds :o) with a fork, throw it in a bowl and cover it with a little marinara sauce...

That was REALLY cool of you to make special cookies for the guy with the allergies and special food needs. What a sweetie you are.

NightOwl said...

Gorgeous food! Lucky, lucky folks who got to enjoy it!

And yes, the spaghetti squash can be boiled or roasted and a little bit of E.B. and salt and pepper and maybe some Parmazano sprinkles from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbood and--YUM! Enjoy!

Candi said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog and wanted to say that all this food is just amazing! I love all the photos!

This recipe is one I am going to try now since you mentioned it: Cannellini Bean Yam Hummus! yum!

erica said...

Hey Kris -
I saw on Dreena's blog that you are a tempeh lover as well. Just thought that I'd let you know, in case you didn't already, that at Proper Eats they sell it in bulk flats about 12" x 18" for $10. I find it to be much better texture and flavor than the Turtle Island brand, and so much cheaper. I just chop the flat into squares and freeze it.

But maybe you already knew that!
~Erica

Eat Peace Please said...

All of this loveliness coming from the oven! It looks wonderful, and I would have ate the whole display if I were there!

I think it was wonderful that you were so thoughtful to have made Jessie's husband special treats. Everything looks wonderful Kris.

Did you get my email back about "your idea"?

Anonymous said...

Man, I wish I could have been there!!!!

Anonymous said...

Kris, this stuff looks absolutely fantastic! I'd love to know what substitute elements go into a vegan cheesecake.

I once saw a recipe for spaghetti squash where you put broccoli-pesto on it. Yum. Spaghetti squash is very delicate. I totally *heart* squash!

Marybeth

Anonymous said...

congrats!!!
im drooling like crazy here!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

this all looks amazingly amazing!! especially the lemon almond torte - yowza.