Thursday, September 28, 2006

Protein Primavera and Whatcha Eatin'? #1

Recently I saw some great pasta on Megan's
blog. I've been waiting to make this all week, but I had to keep putting it off because I had one ingredient or another that I needed to cook with because it was going to go bad if I didn't... so tonight was the night! I made bowtie pasta with a roasted garlic and cannellini bean sauce and some steamed broccoli.



We also enjoyed some Ciabata bread with bruschetta and garlic buttah. For the sauce, I roasted a whole head of garlic, then reserved about 1 tablespoon for the garlic bread. I pureed the rest with a can of cannellini beans, a splash of soy milk, some oregano, a splash of lemon and some olive oil. Then I heated it on the stove top while everything else was cooking, adding soy milk as needed to thin it out. It was SO good and much more substantially filling than just plain starchy pasta with a flour based cream sauce.

Do you ever have those moments when you look at something you're eating or cooking with and think "Wow, I have no actual idea where this comes from..."? Well, I do and to help myself learn and become more aware of my food and to add a new (and hopefully engaging) feature to my blog, I'm going to start a weekly column called "Whatcha Eatin'?" where we can explore some of the things that we consume.

Up this week: cinnamon.


I was cooking with cinnamon the other night and I thought "Where does cinnamon come from"? My first thought to that was "Well, from cinnamon sticks". But where do those come from?

Cinnamon may seem like an unassuming spice on your rack, but it has a dirty little secret. It turns out that it has a related species called "cassia" and that is actually what many of us have in our spice bottles in the US. Nope, no true cinnamon for you, what you have is cinnamon's sidekick, masquerading under its name. Is that so bad though? I guess it depends. There are many kinds of cinnamon and one can only imagine what they all taste like, but cassia has a stronger flavor, so maybe it's not so bad after all. Cinnamon is lighter colored and finer when ground and has a sweeter flavor than cassia.

But where does it come from? Cinnamon, cassia, the stuff in your pumpkin pie, comes from a tree. The trees are cut to a stump, from which little shoots grow out. These shoots are stripped of their bark and dried, making cinnamon sticks.

Cinnamon was once considered more precious than gold and was used as a currency in ancient civilizations. It was used for embalming and in medicines in ancient Egypt. While it grew in Europe, spice trade opened up a world of exotic cinnamon to try. Studies done in the past few years in the US have shown that cinnamon (cassia as well, presumably) is very high in antioxidents and may be beneficial for diabetics and in lowering high blood pressure.

Pretty interesting, huh? This kind of stuff really fascinates me, so if it bores you, just let me geek out for the moment and it will pass... :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not food related - but you can read about frankincense in Wikipedia. I ran across this when the local health food store recommended Boswellin cream for tendonitis after the exercises the doc had prescribed failed. The doc had also handed me some Vioxx samples, which fortunately I had not taken before the Vioxx news hit the fan.

Boswellin cream contains frankincense, how cool is that, wintergreen oil, and capsesin(sp?) the painkiller from hot peppers. The frankincense and wintergreen are anti-inflammatories. This is great stuff for any kind of muscle problem, plus it smells great (or not, depending on if you like peppermint.)

Anonymous said...

Amazing that they can label cassia as cinnamon. This was actually very interesting. I'll totally geek out with you every week.

Anonymous said...

all these years I thought I was eating cinnamon! I'm shocked....this is big news. How dare they try to fool us.

I'm glad you liked the pasta combo. I usually try to roast a few bulbs of garlic on the weekend, and then have them on hand for dishes like this. It makes them quick dishes....a must for when I'm hungry!!!

Eat Peace Please said...

I'm up for the weekly geek.

This is great Kris. Thanks for the lesson.

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

love this post. you're so not alone in your geekdom :).

I sit on our porch and read a few pages of my whole foods encyclopedia or other nutrition books all the time 'cause, really, isn't it wonderful, this stuff we're eating!!??

your pasta and bread are making me hungry, yum!

Anonymous said...

love the post! thanks for the info.!