Monday, July 17, 2006

We be jammin'...

Yes, I listened to Bob Marley while I was making jam. Can you blame me? How often does that opprotunity present itself?

So, on Saturday, I made jam and marmalade from scratch. And, refusing to settle for freezer jam, I took on the scary task of canning. I grew up with grandmothers that canned a lot of food, but it wasn't carried on by the next generation. Sadly, there's no one in my family that's living to give me any pointers, so I turned to a book on preserves I bought and, of course, Martha Stewart online.

The great thing about jam is it's a really easy way to learn the basics of canning. The high acidity in fruit kills the bacteria that can turn into botulism so no home botox for any of you! But, thankfully, that dramatically decreases your chances of accidentally poisioning your family, horray!

I made marionberry jam and a mixed citrus marmalade, consisting of grapefruit, orange, lemon and lime. Marionberries and citrus are both really high in pectin, so I didn't add any of the commercial kind. Commercial pectin is typically derived from apples and you can find easy ways online to make your own apple pectin, rather than relying on the boxed stuff.


Here is the flat of marionberries I picked up at a local farmer's market. Yummy! $17 for the flat, not too shabby! I used 8 pints for the jam, "flash" froze 2 (froze them in a flat layer, then placed them in bags) and we kept 2 for immediate consumption.


This is the stove set up. On the left is the canning pot, with jars being sterilized in it. I got a great deal on some very cool mason jars at the Goodwill near us. It's a pay-by-the-pound place and glass is .29 a pound! I found 8 really neat jelly jars and paid $1.70! On the lower right is my pot for making jam and on the top left is a little pot with water for sterilizing the lids. You can reuse jars and bands as much as you want, provided they are in safe working condition, but you should never reuse the lids because you could be compromising the security of your seal.


I got so caught up in making the jam first, that I forgot to take a lot of pictures, so here's a picture of the marmalade cooking. The difference between a jam and a marmalade is that marmalades are citrus based, with bits of sugared rind in them. Jams are fruit that is crushed up, where jelly uses just fruit juice and preserves have large chunks of the fruit in them. Clearly I learned a lot this weekend!


After cooking to the right jelling temperature (it varies by fruit), the hot, sterilized jars are then filled with the hot jam. Jim provided a helpful hand during this process. We were able to pick up a nice set of canning tools, including special tongs and such, for under $8. The cans then go into the canning pot, are submerged in water, and are brought to a boil and held there, covered, for the appropriate amount of time. After that they must be taken out and placed on a surface that will not be a temperature shock. I used cooking racks covered with newspaper for insulation and some kitchen towels. Let them cool, undisturbed, for at least 12 hours.


The marmalade, looking pretty.


And the marionberry jam.

We only had one can not seal, so we just popped it in the fridge the next day, after cooling, and are eating that one first. I was very pleased with the results of this adventure and I will definitely be canning again in the future. It was fun and so far it was made breakfast satisfying on more than one level. :)


And a totally belated picture from last week, of some Field Roast culets served with tomato-bail quinoa and some steamed (frozen) green beans. I finally got creative enough to use my cookie scoop for the quinoa and I really liked the presentation, so I think I'll be buying a bigger scoop soon. Any excuse for more gadgets!

10 comments:

Eat Peace Please said...

Are those the freakin hazelnut herb cutlets (celebration field roast somethings?). I love those things.

Oh, and 17 bucks for that flat?!? I am jealous.

Anonymous said...

Really gorgeous looking jams.

What are bands in this setup? In my youth, before metal tops, there was a rubbery band between the glass bottom of the mason jar and the glass top, but is there a band with the metal tops?

Anonymous said...

Good for you..that's a lot of work, but WELL worth it! Wish I could have a bottle:-)

KleoPatra said...

WONDERFUL!!!

And we must be on the same Marley wavelength...

Anonymous said...

Agh! Second post today on canning. I MUST GIVE THIS A TRY. Especially with jellies - store bought jellies are just crap.

funwithyourfood said...

hi there
Found you from Leslie's blog. My grandma and I used to can too! I'm glad yours turned out well. Sounds like quite the adventure
:)
Teddy

MeloMeals said...

Lovely canning... I need to learn more about it...

re: your last post... I love what you said about Gore.. I agree 100%...

Kris said...

Yes, Leslie, they are the Field Roast cutlets. Delcious indeed.

Anon, the basic set up for the canning that I did is jar, lid and the rings are the metal part that screws the lid onto the jar. Once the jar is properly sealed the rings serve no purpose and can be removed.

Megan, it really wasn't that much work, it took me about 5 hours start to finish for both. Well worth it for what it yielded. You should give it a go!

kleopatra, who can deny the marley groove?

Vivacious, I really encourage you to look into it. Like I said, it really wasn't that difficult, you just have to be mindful. And yes, it tastes so much better than store bought.

Funwithfood, thanks for stopping by!

Melody, check out marthastewart.com and upick.com (i think that's what it was) has a good tutorial, too.

Shananigans said...

YUM! My mom used to make raspberry jam, love it. I also love jammin' to Bob Marley and his raegge band.

karen said...

This sounds wonderful, when winter comes, you will be so glad to have fresh jam and marmalade to eat on a cold morning!