Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Taste of India

Unintentionally, what have become the only two meals of my day where both filled with Indian spices.

For breakfast/brunch (getting up at 10:30 screws up the rest of your day, which is why you stay up until 2... not a good schedule to fall into) I made some chai oatmeal. Now, for many of you, during this terribly hot season, eating oatmeal probably sounds unbearable, but up here it's a bit chilly in the morning, so warm food is a welcome thing. I steeped a chai teabag in my oats and water, then gave it a good squeeze when the water started to absorb, added a hint of vanilla and some raisins, walnuts and a splash of maple syrup. On the side I have half a banana and couple of the strawberries pictured with last night's dinner along with some vanilla soy yogurt on top.


For dinner Jim wanted to get something ready while I was on my way home, so I talked him through making some brown basmati rice and using a jar of premade Indian food from Trader Joe's. It was just a simple veggie and lentil stew, which he thickened with some cornstarch to make it heartier. He also added a chopped and sauteed shallot, grated ginger and some chunks of potato. He also went to the grocery store and bought some accidentally vegan naan, which I then heated up and we spread a mixture of garlic and Earth Balance over.... So good...

I love Indian food, the spices make your house smell so fragrant! I wish they made garam masala incense...

10 comments:

primaryconsumer said...

I love Indian food too! I could eat it everyday and never get tired of it. By the way, your pic of your hamster in the last post was so adorable. :)

Shananigans said...

I love the Indian market in my neighborhood, shopping there is like treasure hunting :) My next project is finding/creating the perfect vegetable korma recipe.

jenny said...

I can't wait to try chai oatmeal!! What a fantastic idea!

Fiber said...

Chai oatmeal sounds amazing. I love chai-spiced anything really!

Anonymous said...

I loves the stuff too!

urban vegan said...

makes me want to go back. great dishes, too.

Anonymous said...

Moussa is so so adorable! And those strawberries look so scrumptious. I noticed one of your links is to the Luncast. Does anyone have any idea where Kenny is? It's been a month since he posted anything.

Brooke said...

Hey starla, I read on the PPK forums that Kenny from Vegan Lunchcast decided to let his blog die, I guess he was too busy to keep it going. That's all that I have heard. :-)

Food looks great! Love the chai oatmeal idea!

Anonymous said...

Brooke: Thanks for the info. At least he is OK and he's just letting his blog go but darn, I enjoyed his lunches!

Kris said...

I could eat Indian food everyday, too. It's probably the only kind of food I really feel that way about.

I'm glad that Ken has just decided to back off of it. I was really worried, what with him having high blood pressure and all. He should really go post something on his blog to let people know..