Thursday, June 08, 2006

Holy Updates

Yowsa! It's been a long 2 weeks since I last wrote to you folks, but now I have the internets back at my fingertips, and faster than ever (we used to have DSL, but now we have cable).

So yes. I have a lot of catching up to do, so let me begin:



Bindhi was done with living in hotel and she was ready to settle into our new home. Here's the view from our back windows and our porch. There is a creek right below the trees. Very cool. :)




A beaver sighting on our first day!




Tempeh bacon BLT with mashed potatoes and corn. I used Isa's recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance for the bacon marinade. I haven't been a big fan of tempeh, but recently I have been craving it. So weird! So now I am really digging on it and it's becoming a staple item in my kitchen.


Turtle cheesecake from Sweet Pea Bakery, a local vegan bakery. I have tasted and made some decent vegan cheesecakes in my day, but this was incredible. Got it at Food Fight.


Breakfast! A cinnamon roll from the local vegetarian co-op (The Daily Grind) with half of a little honeydew from another local vegetarian co-op (People's). Mmmm...


Nachos! Inspired by our adventures in Palm Springs, I made some nachos. A layer of whole grain tortillas was buried in taco TVP crumbles, black beans, guac, salsa, Tofutti sour cream, Follow Your Heart cheddar cheese and black olives. Tasty...


Some homemade strawberry lemonade! I made it last night. I was looking at some at the store the other day and was reeling from the sticker shock of good organic lemonade and I realized "hey, this is just lemons and water!" It turned out good and I'm going to be making a lot more of it this summer to put in my nifty carafes.



Banana cream crepes! I made these when we were still unpacking and I was wading through boxes with limited foodstuffs available. Filled with a simple vanilla soy yogurt and banana filling.



More desserts from Sweet Pea, this time obtained from New Seasons. Chocolate Peanut Butter and Lemon Raspberry. The Chocolate Peanut Butter brought down the house.


Our first breakfast, the morning after we wearily rolled into town, with a box of pancake mix from Food Fight. Armed with little else then the basics in our "essentials" bin (a pot, a pan, untensils, one box of our new dishes, and some other assorted junk), we made a quick and easy breakfast.



Tonight was seriously gluttony night. We had the regular old pizza that I always make, but with a new crust I've been working on for the cookbook. For dessert we had a dessert pizza (which will also be in the book) with raisins, coated in cinnamon sugar and drizzled with icing. OMG, we were full. Oy.

Other things: life is good working at Herbivore. Issue 11 is possibly in many of your hands right now, so it's very busy at Herbie HQ. We are opening a store front full of assorted vegan non-edible treats this summer (think late July), so there are a lot of vegan, soy-based fish to fry before then. Portland is even more than I expected. Stores have vegan food in their delis and dessert cases. Restaurants have clearly marked options. Wait staff not only know what vegan means, but are eager to help. People wave you in to traffic. There are ducks and squirrels! Ooh, I even bought a squirrel cookie cutter last weekend that I will have to make some cookies with soon.

Also, Jim and I went on a field trip last weekend. We live minutes from Bob's Red Mill, which I'm sure many of you are familiar with. Well, the have a large visitor's center that serves breakfast and lunch and has a full store with over 300 of their products. They also sell other assorted kitchen gadgets and cookbooks, including a section on vegan cooking. AND, they have a completely seperate vegetarian menu with vegan options clearly marked. We had a lovely breakfast then I went nuts at the store. It was a very good thing.

So, I'm pretty tired and rambling at this point, but I wanted to give you all a little rundown. We have been enjoying some restaurants too and I just got a new phone with a camera so I'll have no more excuses to not have pictures of our food when we eat out.

Thanks for all the support and I'll talk to you soon!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm consumed with envy :-) Do I regret moving from CA to RI.

Great pix, esp. the kitty. Mine hid under the bureau and hardly ate for a couple of weeks after we moved.

Anonymous said...

p.s. About that creek, be prepared for flooding.

primaryconsumer said...

NO FAIR!!!!! I want to live in Portland so bad. :(

All right, I'll get over my fit of jealousy to say I'm happy for you. I didn't know you were working at Herbivore, that is just too cool.

Anonymous said...

you are a genius....strawberry lemonaide! That sounds like heaven!

Brooke said...

Portland is screaming my name right this very second! I am so very, very envious! I don't know which I am more jealous of....all the available vegan goodies, or the fact that you saw a beaver on your first day. That rocks!

-Brooke

Kelli said...

I AM SO JEALOUS!!! I wanna live in Portland! Is it expensive to live there? Hmmmm. . .

Glad things are going great!

--Kelli

karen said...

You are a lucky girl to live there... And to work at Herbivore Mag.

Milinda said...

I am so very envious. It all sounds so wonderful. Keep working on that cook book.

Anonymous said...

Here's some not so great news about soy, from hugg.com Makes me wonder where the soy in vegan stuff is coming from:

We don’t think the Amazon should be cut down for chicken feed. And from Brazil to Europe, activists have faced violence and arrest to protest this environmental crime. You can support them by pressuring McDonald's and KFC to stop buying soy from the Amazon. Our investigative report, 'Eating up the Amazon' showed how soya beans grown in the Amazon were going into McDonald’s McNuggets. Well guess what? Soy grown by clearing the Amazon is also going into the making of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). And some people don’t want us to do anything about that.Activists attacked, arrested: Violence erupted at an illegal soy export facility in the Amazon as employees and associates of Cargill, owner and operator of the port, targeted Greenpeace activists who were protesting the continued destruction of the Amazon rainforest for growing soy. Despite the Cargill port being built in violation of Brazilian law, it continues to operate. Soy exported from this port go to many parts of the world including Europe were it is used to feed animals destined to be fried-up in fast food outlets like KFC. Activists in Europe have shut down Cargill plants in France and the UK in solidarity with their Brazilian colleagues.

Kris said...

I wish you all could move here, then we could become a little vegan republic and do things our way... sigh, it's nice to dream.

Oh, someone asked me if it's expensive to live here. I think that depends on where you're coming from. I've recently lived in Minneapolis and Phoenix and Portland is slightly less expensive than both of them. I would look into your industry, though, as certain industries are really in a slump out here and some people are having a hard time finding work.

Randi said...

I would love to go to that store. I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian( But I dont eat red meat) but I love Bob's products. I also live in a town full of white squirrels.