Monday, June 26, 2006

The Big Salad and Kitty Update

Well, we had a loooooooong night. Because we didn't know the health status of this cat we got our guest room ready and let him in. Jim spent the night with Wesley (as we've temporarily named him) in there and I slept out with the other catkids. It was a horrible night as we were never able to get the a/c unit Jim bought up because it wasn't designed for sliding windows, just up and down ones and long story short, we were hot and miserable. It was 97 yesterday and almost 100 today. Yes, 100 in the land where no one has air conditioning. Anyway, today Wesley went to the vet where we was given a clean bill of health. Yay!

But the plot thickens, as it so often does. It seems that Wesley does have "owners", our neighbors who recently got him as an outdoor only cat and literally walk by like he doesn't exist. Now, there are a ton of stray and feral cats around here and on any given night you are woken up because of a cat fight outside of our complex. So what in god's name would inspire you to get a kitten and bring him into this madness and not take care of him? The couple are, to put it nicely, losers. After much debating about what to do, Jim went and talked to the wife and just said "hey, your kitty was on our porch today and seemed overheated so we let him in. Do you want me to bring him up?" to which she slightly stepped back like he said something repulsive and said "um, whatever, we just let him roam around. you could just let him out." The ending of this? He's hanging out in here right now and Bindhi is growling at him, because she's a fussy little brat, but the boys sniffed his butt and gave him a seal of approval. And Moussa, well, she's cleaning herself like mad right now because the heat messed up her routine last night. And for the heat, well, let's just say we managed to get the a/c unit rigged up until Jim can get proper parts to set it up in the window.



Tres chic, no? I especially like the orange tape. Makes it look all official.

So it's damn hot and we're damn stressed. We're planning on keeping Wesley until this hot spell passes and then talking to his "owners" again. I really don't think they give a damn about him, but they seem like the kind of people who might view animals as property, so we'll see what happens. For now we're loving him up like crazy!


So, as a result of the heat and laziness we had salads today! Big salads with red romaine, spinach, shredded carrot, Roma tomatoes, shredded faux chicken (left over naked nuggets from this weekend) and goddess dressing. Mmmm, very filling and delicious. We also each enjoyed a juicy nectarine and indulged in a little mocha Soy Delicious for dessert.

So that about wraps up today! Pretty nutzoid and I'm quite stressed out, but we're making the most of our foster child and trying to keep everyone happy and cool. I'll leave you with a picture of the current contender for cutest kitten of the year. (the stuff in his ears is just dirty wax. I got a bunch out today, but we know how patient kitties are about that kind of thing...)

13 comments:

Freedom said...

Ohh, that is just sickening! Animals as 'property.' In a way having owners like that is worse than being stray - I don't think I could resist punching those people in the face! I'm so cross now. Good on you for looking after him temporarily and I hope you manage to find a solution.

Anonymous said...

He's adorable. But look at the size of his body in relation to the size of his paws. I don't think he's been eating well for some time.

Love the orange tape. Men have their occasional uses :-)

If the AC unit isn't helping enough, a fan, with a grid to make it kitty safe may help distribute the cooler air. At least in Northern CA where I lived, it got cooler at night, so you could open the (screened - you've checked that the screens are secure...) windows then and that helped.

Heather said...

What a cutie! He looks like my Tigger (original, I know). His "owners" are disgusting.

If you put a little oil on a cotton ball, it gets that crud out of their ears.

Eat Peace Please said...

Oh, he's so cute. I hope you get to keep him or convince the owners to let you or someone who cares have him. I feel exactly as you do, why do they have him anyway? I like the name you have for him, it rhymes with mine (Leslie). He's so cute and colorful!

Shananigans said...

Haha, I like your AC solution. The unit in my parents’ bedroom when I was a kid was sealed on both sides with duct tape. Classy. In the summer we would all pile in there and enjoy the cold air, I don’t miss that whole heat + humidity thing.

I love little Wesley, he’s so adorable! But WTF is up with his owners? I agree with everyone else, with an attitude like that you’ve got no business having pets. We had a stray orange tabby for a while that we called Tommy. He was gigantic, and a super cuddle lover. That cat would go to town purring over any attention you gave him at all. Sadly he was quite vicious toward our previously adopted stray cat so we had to re-home him to a farm that needed a mouser in the barn. Sometimes I wonder whatever happened to Tommy, I hope he had a happy life.

Anonymous said...

OMG, Wesley is the cutest little boy kitten ever! Those "losers" don't deserve the likes of him. Thanks for being such kind people.

Anonymous said...

The sad thing is if you don't give him back to his owners, they'll probably just get another cat. I agree with freedom, I wouldn't be able to resist punching them.

MeloMeals said...

What a sweet kitty... I wish his owners had a freaken clue. What jerks.

Your salad looks great.. I hope you can cool off.

NightOwl said...

Like those a-holes will even notice if little Wesley is gone! I say keep him, or find another good home for him, and if they ever ask you can say "I was just going to ask YOU about him! Haven't seen him in ages!"
Animals ARE NOT disposable objects people! When will they get it??

That salad looks to die for!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've got yourself a new cat. You're already 100 times the pet parent than his former parent! That's infuriating! I just hate the kind of disregard some people have for animals.

Your salad looked amazing. I am on such a salad kick lately...which is very odd for me!

Kris said...

Thanks for all your support, everyone. He's doing great today and we still have him in here. We're holding out until it's cooler so we can't use the heat as an excuse and then we're going to play up the "he gets along so well with our cat, we keep letting him out, but he wants back in" card to see if she suggests us keeping him. She really is indifferent to him and looked at Jim like he was really bizarre for caring in the first place. People make me so mad.

I've also worried that they might get another cat, but something about the way they treat him makes me think that maybe they didn't want him in the first place, maybe a friend had some kittens and needed to "get rid" of him and she agreed? I hope so. Then she'll hopefully have no drive to get another if we end up with him.

Also, Heather, thanks for the oil tip, I'll try it tonight.

Mama Fabun said...

Oh, that's so frustrating! Our last neighbors were just like that. They adopted animal after animal and then didn't care for half of them. One of their cats wouldn't leave our porch (and often ran inside when the opportunity presented itself) for two years. They literally never fed her or took her to the vet once. Then they had the nerve to walk across the street one day to collect her for "A family picture." Repeatedly I asked them to please take care of her or at least take her to the vet to make sure she was healthy, so we would know our cats and little boy were safe before keeping her. The last time I mentioned it she said, "I'm not going to bother trying to keep her here anymore." Oy vey.

Kelli said...

Awwww! Wesley's a cute boy! And I sympathize with you about his ignorant owner. I am currently feeding the two outside cats that live next door to my mom. When I asked the neighbor's husband about them, at first he denied that they belonged at his house, then he admitted they belong to his wife. When I mentioned that they were eating the food I put out for a little stray that I've also been feeding, he said I could kick them out of the way if I needed to. . . SICKENING!!!