Saturday, June 17, 2006

Baking Bonanza!

This morning the ducks were hanging out below out bedroom window. So cute!


Tonight there is a movie fundraiser to raise appeals money for Josh Harper of theSHAC7. If you have not heard about the case of the SHAC I urge you to read up on it. They are a group of people who ran a website about the direct action activism against Huntington Life Sciences, the largest animal testing lab in the country. They were found guilty under the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, which basically means they pissed off enough people at the top of the financial food chain to piss off the gov't because HLS has been on the brink of bankruptcy several times because of the SHAC and many people in the gov't have financial involvement in the animal testing industry. Whether or not you believe in direct action, it is NECESSARY that you care about this, because they were not found guilty of doing any direct action, they were found guilty of having a website that talked about it. Last time I checked, that was free speech, but apparently since the FBI has declared that animal rights activists and environmentalists are the "next great threat to National security", our free speech is limited. They are being sentenced in September and some of them face up to 11 years in prison for simply standing up for something they believe in. If you search this, be wary of the press, as much of the media had written horribly biased articles regarding the SHAC. Again, even if you are against direct action, this affects any one with a minority opinion, gays, vegans, anyone who is small but strong in their beliefs. If you would like to help raise money for their appeals Herbivore is doing a SHAC pack , which we hope to ship this week, which includes a great shirt, some buttons, postcards and a sticker. It costs $35 and after our costs $28 will go to the SHAC. We've presold a lot of these. Show your pride and help these folks out!

Anyhow, for the fundraiser tonight I offered to cook, so here is my food for the movie night! All of these recipes will be in the book.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. These are the same ones that I made shortly before the move. They are a vegan version of my great-grandma's recipe and they are chewy rather than the traditional crumbly texture.


These are my chewy walnut brownies.


These are some cherry oatmeal cookies, with a light drizzle of icing. I use tart dried cherries so the flavor is more defined in the finished product.


These are a bite-sized version of a large lemon-almonde torte that I make. I just crave citrus this time of year.


These are cranberry apple butter cookies. They are a lighter texture and flavor for people who enjoy a more savory sweet treat.

That's it! I've been baking my heart out and now I need to jump in the shower to get ready for the show!

8 comments:

Brooke said...

I think my rear end got bigger just looking at those goodies. YUM!

jenny said...

Wow, now I really wish I lived in Portland!

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to just donate vs. buy something, so all the money goes to their legal expenses? How come the fundraiser is for just one?

Kris said...

You can donate directly on the SHAC7 page, online or by check. For those a little freaked out to donate directly to them that way, you can always donate via Food Fight. Chad is in charge of the SHAC donations.

The reason why the fundraiser was specifically for Josh Harper of the SHAC is because he is facing some of the harshest sentencing of them all because he was one of the heads of the organization.

Thanks for all the food encouragement! The biggests hits of the night were the lemon tortes and the oatmeal cherry cookies. I love oatmeal, so I think that I'll be testing and retesting that recipe over and over again...

Anonymous said...

wow - baking your heart out is right! I wish I was at the party to sample all of that goodness!

urban vegan said...

SHAClicious! Very inspiring.

Kris said...

Yep, johanna, the torte recipe will the book, but the normal recipe actually makes a large 10 inch torte instead of the mini ones, so it's much less work!

Thanks everyone!

KleoPatra said...

i love the ducks!!!