Monday, May 15, 2006

Peanut Butter Cookies


My very last baking project in AZ, Jim's favorite peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips. This recipe is based off of my great-grandmother's recipe and it chewy and soft, not crumbly. I made them this morning while he was at work, as he has a tendency to gorge himself on them when they are warm from the oven, eating a dozen in one sitting. You'd never know it, with him being so skinny. I wish my metabolism worked like that! Even after coming home to cool cookies, though, I think he still put away a dozen over the course of the evening. Bad Jim! I swear, that boy is Type II diabetes in training... Anyway, these cookies will be getting sent to work with him tomorrow so he doesn't overdo it and so I'm not picking at them while I'm packing.

We're leaving next week so there's lots to do! I'm figuring that I'll do a little feature while we're on the road of being a vegan while bare-bones traveling and how to cope with eating roadside. I'm going to pack us up with some non-persishables and fruit, but we'll still be grabbing condiment sandwiches, I'm sure. Or who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your trip goes well! I'm wondering if this peanut butter cookie recipe will be in your upcoming cookbook? This looks like something MY husband would also love (and maybe me, too!) Most peanut butter cookie recipes make very dry and crumbly cookies-- he loves them, but me, not so much. Oh, I'm drooling over this picture! :)
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

That is one great picture. I'm not a peanut butter cookie fan, but regular chocolate chip cookies that looked like that would be excellent.

Kris said...

This recipe will be in the cookbook. I was never a big peanut butter cookie fan either. Growing up my mom would make them for my dad (do all men like peanut butter?) and they were the classic dry cookies. I came across this recipe from my grandmother and it turned out so good that I've become a convert. I love them.

We don't head out of town until next Wed. morning. I figure I'll do a few entries about eating when all your stuff is packed, lol. And then I'll do a bit on the stuff I'll pick up for our trip and then on-the-road segments. I'm surious to see what we'll encounter on the road, since the majority of the drive will be in California. Maybe we'll have lots of yummy choices. Or maybe we'll be eating Subway at gas stations.

Jane, I don't think it's fair whatsoever that men can just burn off all that weight. Jim always says that I have to have "a little layer" to protect myself in case I were pregnant. Well, I'm not pregnant and my body darn well knows it! But, I am discovering a new kind of diet, apparently. Since working on the cookbook and being surrounded by so many baked goods I've actually dropped a pants size! I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I'm liking this!

Brooke said...

I'll take two dozen of those cookies, thank you very much! :-)

-Brooke

Anonymous said...

How long are you guys going to be on the road? Some nice country you'll be driving thru, sounds like.

Kris said...

Hopefully only two long days. We're hoping to leave early Wednesday morning and to arrive late Thursday night. We tried doing Minnesota to Arizona in 2 days, but I wussed out and we had to do 3. But I'm a lot more excited about Portland so hopefully the adrenaline will keep me going!

karen said...

Yum! I hate crumbly cookies- what a mess! These sound fantastic! Have a safe and healthy trip. I just moved a month ago and I know how exhausting it can be...

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Randi said...

Id love this recipe if you care to share!