Monday, April 17, 2006

Shepherd's Pie


It's getting a bit warm down here for hearty comfort food, but I just couldn't resist tweaking a recipe for vegan shepherd's pie, especially after seeing these beautiful carrots at the co-op this week. So pretty! Oddly enough, when I peeled the purple ones they were just orange inside. They were quite nice to look at, though.



So, we had some seitan and mushroom shepherd's pie. It was hearty and yummy with a thick mushroom gravy spread over the bottom layer, some carrots, sweet corn and peas on top of that and some creamy garlic mashed potatoes on the very top. Now I'm way too full!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that shepherd's pie looks glorious!! I've been looking for a recipe for vegan shep. pie for a while, and haven't found anything that sounded truly delicious yet. If you would post this recipe it would be greatly appreciated!

The purple dragon carrots look beautiful when sliced. I tried to grow some last Summer. Let's just say you really need to cover a raised bed when you have a high cat population in your neighborhood. Noooo purple carrots for us.

Sorry for the long comment!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks good, both the carrots, that cry out to be made into a salad or something, and the pie.

Jane, I don't like cooked carrots usually, but raw carrots, esp. the fake baby ones, I keep in the fridge to snack on.

Kris said...

I'll post this recipe soon.

Purple dragon carrots? I was wondering what they were called! They were just labeled as "organic bunch carrots", so I had no idea what the name was. What a fun name!

Anonymous said...

Thanks in advance for the recipe! As for the P.D. carrots, that's what they're called in the Burpee catalog. I'm sure they have other names in other places.... But I agree with you, that one's fun!

Melissa said...

I've never seen purple carrots before! Originally, carrots were all purple(like Middle Ages era) and people generally found soups and stews with carrots in them unappetizing because it made the broth an ugly brown colour. Orange/yellow mutant forms were discovered and selectively breeded, and voila! Now we have orange carrots. Personally I don't care what they look like, they're one of my favourite veggies!

Love your blog by the way!