Thursday, April 27, 2006

Revisiting the past


For dinner tonight I threw together a simple curry using my tried and true mish-mash of a coconut curry recipe. I had some leftover coconut milk from another recipe so I made this with some potatoes, carrots, lentils, and peas. It turned out quite nice and now I've used up some more lentils and all my jasmine rice is gone, so one less thing to pack!


Every once in awhile I get a serious craving for some warm chocolate pudding and tonight was one of those nights. I made some chocolate "truffle" pudding (I stuck a square of Endangered Species mint dark chocolate in the middle while it was still warm as a treat). The recipe is from the 'zine Don't Have a Cow . Well, I added the "truffle" part, but that's because I'm a GLUTTON! The 'zine is pretty good. There are some good recipes in there and some excellent quotes, but there's this little bit of vegan resentment that seems to come up from time to time that seems a bit out of place to me. I mean, you care enough to make a vegan 'zine in the first place, what's with the bitterness?

Last night we went out to dinner with one of our friends who has recently gone veg (yay Lauren!) so we took her to Green, where I, of course, forgot to bring my camera. I had an acceptable vegan pizza (I've gotten spoiled from making them at home), Jim had the "green" burger, which is actually red (from lentils and oats) and Lauren had the Thai peanut. Mmmm...

Well, that's all for tonight, I suppose. I'm going to finish off my pudding ramekin and get myself to bed. I have a big day tomorrow: I'm giving my 2 weeks notice! Eeek! I'm quite freaked out about it, as I hate confrontation and really like my boss. Every time I think about it my stomach literally flops. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

scs said...

Looks delicious! Any particular spices you use in the curry? I'd like to try making one myself.

Brooke said...

What is your favorite meal at Green? I am going there again next week for my birthday, and would love to have some recommendations....I have already had the crab puffs and coconut curry w/ tofu. Any suggestions? And what about for my omni husband, is there a meal that you think meat-eaters would appreciate the most?
Good luck tomorrow!

Guinnah said...

wow that pudding looks like something my daughter would adore! I love the idea of tucking the extra chocolate in there :-)

Best of luck giving notice - I well remember the feeling! I hope your move goes smoothly (Portland is my hometown) - you'll love it.

I wandered over to your blog and enjoyed your posts!

Kris said...

Scs, on the right hand side of my blog there is a link to my recipes and my coconut curry recipe is up there. I tend to use garam masala for my spice. It's a traditional blend of Indian spices that you can make yourself or buy premade at the store. It's very fragrant and can be really tasty without being spicy, but can be turned up a notch as well.

Brooke, we've taken several omni's there and everyone seems to like the mock chicken that somes in the stir fry meals, but they aren't as impressed with the mock chicken patties that are in the no harm chicken parm and the drunken chicken. I have enjoyed the thai peanut, the curry, the drunken chicken, the no harm chicken parm and the green burger. I'd say my favorite is between the drunken chicken and the no harm chicken parm. They have wonderful french fries that are seasoned with thyme and if you don't mind a little spice the artichoke dip is wonderful (but the chips can be a bit greasy sometimes). Also, many omni's like the mock buffalo wings. I never had buffalo wings as an omni, but my husband swears that these are amazing and I really like them too.

Nancy, thanks for stopping by. I'll have to get that pudding recipe up, I doubt the author will mind, since it's not his recipe either! Thanks for the encouragement, I can't wait to get to Portland!

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»