Sunday, April 30, 2006

Blink and you'll miss it- my weekend

Yikes! Our weekend has been nuts and it's gone by super fast. I gave notice on Friday. Not nearly as scary as I thought it would be, but I certainly did a good job getting myself all worked up over it. It's nice to have it out in the open now, so I don't have to be secretive about things anymore. I hate lying and I'm really bad at, so I'm glad it's all over.


I had to work yesterday and we had a potluck so I made this key lime pie. I will admit, I'm a bit squeemish when baking recipes call for tofu. I have had some nasty experiences, but this recipe has such great reviews I decided to give it a go and I'm so glad I did! It was just heavenly. Very creamy, sweet but not too sweet so you could still really enjoy the lime flavor. Oh yeah, and that "I hate lying" thing? Well, that doesn't apply when it comes to co-workers asking me "what's in this?" No way was I going to say tofu! Like they'd eat it then... hehehehe.


I also made a batch if my killer vegan brownies, which will be in my upcoming cookbook. They are chewy, slightly fudgey and have that thin little crust on top of them, just like the "classics". Mmmm.


When I got home yesterday I helped Jim make falafel. It was from a box mix (remember, he's taking baby steps). It was an okay mix (Near East) but I think I like the Fantastic mix better. I was too tired/lazy to whip up some tahini sauce, so we just used some hummus and filled up our pitas for movie night.


This morning I had a nice, leisurely morning, which I haven't had in a long time. It was great. I slathered up with some sun screen, grabbed my iPod and walked up to the farmer's market that's near my apartment. On my way there I freaked out a little, wondering if it was already done for the season, since it's getting warmer here and the growing season is coming to an end. Thankfully it was still there, albeit smaller than normal. I ended up with a grand array of yellow/orange colored fruits, some tangelos, Fuji apples, a pomello and one large navel orange. I have been on the biggest citrus kick since it started warming up, which is strange since the most citrusy I normally get is drinking lemonade. The tangelos are wonderful. I love citrus that you don't have to struggle to peel, unlike most oranges.

So yeah, busy weekend and now I'm getting ready to start my work countdown! 2 weeks and counting!

13 comments:

Freedom said...

That pie looks amazing! Well done (and I know what you mean about people's reaction to thinkgs with tofu. You just wait till they've gone OH YUM and then go "guess what's in it :-)

Anonymous said...

That pie is beautiful. I love key lime stuff. Please include the recipe in your cookbook.

I was going to suggest the tell them after they've eaten it also, but I didn't realize people could be allergic to tofu.

The farmers market is shutting down? Here in New England they are just starting up, as it is warm enough to start growing things.

Brooke said...

Ohhhh, that key lime pie looks amazing! I am salivating!

I just got off of a falafel kick...having it 4 days in a row last week. I have tried all of the box mixes, but I keep forgetting which one it was that I liked best, so I have to try them all over again. :-) And I have been trying to make my own pita bread (but still prefer the store bought ones so far!).

Kris said...

Kristie, I know several people that have soy sensitivities, so I am always careful to disclose the source of ingredients, just not neccesarily the form. I usually just say "oh yeah, it has soy milk, sugar, flour, blah, blah, blah....". I've found that many people don't know what is in anything that's homemade, so it works to my advantage to fudge the list a bit, but it's really important to be aware of food allergies. Whenever we have guests over for dinner I always ask ahead of time if they have any food allergies or serious food aversions.

Karen Anne, right now I'm living in Phoenix, so our growing season ends in the summer because it's too hot for anything to stay alive. Our typical growing season is from about October through June, tapering off after about April.

Brooke, falafel is the best! I just can't get enough of it. Even though it's greasy I justify it by assessing the other good things I eat. I figure some of that stuff has to cancel the other out, right? :)

Kris said...

Don't worry Kristie, I didn't take it the wrong way at all, it's really important to stress the importance of, especially for people who have nut allergies.

Ug, the AZ growing season. Everything is so polluted here now that I'm actually a bit grossed out by some of the food grown here. Even when it's organic, you can't really control the air and water supplies. Icky.

Unknown said...

Mmm, falafel. One of my favourite foods. Do you have a favourite box mix? Or are they all pretty good?

If you're worried about the greasiness maybe you could try baking/grilling them or cooking them on a barbeque plate? I'm sure you could get them to crisp up the same but maybe without the oil they wouldn't taste the same :P

I love your blog by the way. I live in Australia but will be hanging out to buy your book when it's ready!

Diana

Kris said...

My fav box mix is the Fantastic brand. We tried baking them once and they tasted pretty mushy, but I think I should have misted them with veg oil instead of rolling them in it. Next time!

Thanks for checking out the blog and thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping that the new apartment will have better light in the kitchen so my camera will take nicer pictures, it's really sensitive!

Dori said...

I hope your move is going well. I am continuing to scrool down your blog entries since this is my first visit. I am really enjoying my visit and even drooled over those chocolate brownies... are those made in cupcake form? Love it, just love it... they look fabulous. I have to check out if you have any recipes posted yet... a preview of your cookbook?

Kris said...

The cheesecake ones were made in jumbo cupcake pans. I wanted each one to have those chewy edges on them. On the right hand side of the blog I have link to some recipes, but not any baking ones yet. I'm hoping to flesh out that part once we get moved and settled in. I wish I could make some brownies right now, but all my baking stuff is packed. :(

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»