Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Green!


We are moving to Portland, OR in May, so our lives are a bit chaotic right now. We are going up there to visit and scope out housing on Thursday, so in an effort to not make dishes and to have more time to get ready for our trip, we are eating out. Tonight's dinner was from a delicious local place called Green . They are an all vegan restaurant (they call themselves vegetarian, but I think that's more for marketing) and they are great! They make their own vegan soft serve ice cream on the premises and you can get a "Tsoynami", which is their version of a Blizzard. Their menu is varied and everything is delicious. I LOVE the crabpuffs!

Tonight Jim ran up there to collect dinner. We had Buffalo "Wings" with cucumber ranch, a No Harm Chik'n Parm sandwich and some Spicy Peanut Thai. As always, the food was wonderful. Not only that, but it's so cheap! We can get an appetizer, two entrees and dessert for under $20.

My only issue with the place (and it's a bit of an issue) is how, ironically, un-green they are. They have stickers all over their trash cans that say "Recycle!" and things along those lines. But they don't. And everything is disposable. Disposable bowls and forks, even if you eat in. STYROFOAM cups! It's just plain weird to me. They recently opened so I'm hoping that this is a transitional thing and not for good. It's sadly another one of those things where Phoenix almost does something, but not quite. But, to be fair, Phoenix is really a decent place to be vegan, with tons of alternative grocery stores to choose from as well as a strong handful of good veg*n friendly restaurants. So, for that, I am grateful.

11 comments:

kennyboy said...

HOLY COW!

God I wish there was a restaurant like that near me. That food looks yummy!

Good luck on the househunting!

Anonymous said...

We h ave a place in brooklyn that is a fast food vegan joint and it's liek that there too. Styrofoam take out stuff, and disposable this and that. They have been criticized a lot and have said that they don't really have the $$ to buy a proper washer for their own supplies and if they did, then they would obviously not be using disposable stuff. Hopefully both Green and this place will make a transition soon.

Heather said...

I just found your blog and I'm so glad I did! Your food looks so yummy. I work very close to Green and never heard of it! You can bet I'll be there for lunch today. Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

I live in Portland, and it is such a lovely place to be vegan; you'll love it! Try out Veganopolis. There are a lot of people in a love-to-hate relationship with it, but I am in a more love-to-love...

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, have you tried the Gardenburger buffalo wings? They are vegan and I love them!!!

Love the blog! I will be visiting your site on a regular basis! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Are you back yet...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I went to Green on Saturday (I live in East Mesa) and it was fabulous! Had the crab puffs and the coconut curry bowl...YUMMY! I did overhear the chef saying he was trying to phase out the styrofoam boxes, though. The vegan soft serve ice cream was delicious, my kids ate it all up! I am going there for my birthday for sure.
-Brooke

Kris said...

I'm glad you got to go! It's great to see some more veggies in the Valley! If you haven't heard of them yet, you should also try The Mandala Tea Room in Scottsdale. Healthier fare, more expensive, but another very nice, all vegan place.

Anonymous said...

I think my comment got removed. I hope my letting you know where I found your blog isn't a no-no. I'll have to be more careful! Regardless, I'm really enjoying your blog!

Kris said...

Whoops, Tanya, sorry! I guess I must have misread it and mistook it for a solicitation, I've starting getting some junk on here. Sorry!