Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Calzone Delight



Tonight we had whole wheat calzones (so no, they aren't over-baked!). Each one was spread inside with a garlicky-buttery spread and filled with marinated artichoke hearts, sauteed mushrooms, black olives, a handful of capers and some leftover soy pepperoni that I needed to do something with. Originally, I thought I had some sun-dried tomatoes, but I must have used them up so I added the capers to replace that little tang the tomatoes would have provided. Normally, I would have used homemade dough, but this was some pre-made stuff from Trader Joe's that we had around for pizza emergencies and I needed to use it up. We had our calzones with ramekins of pizza marinara.

I baked them on my trusty pizza stone, which I love using. If you don't have a pizza stone, I highly recommend it. We bake our pizzas on it at 500 degrees for only about 5 minutes and they are perfect. The bottom is crisp but still soft right under the toppings, the crust puffs up beautifully and depending on your preference you can lightly char parts of the crust by toggling between broil and 500. Yummy. They are cheap enough (I bought mine for $15 and it included a priceless pizza peel) and they are available at most stores where you can find kitchen accessories.

2 yums up.

No comments: