Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Banana Bread



I had a bunch of bananas that were perfectly ripe and I knew that we weren't going to eat them all before they turned, so I whipped up a loaf of Jim's favorite banana bread. I've actually worked hard for several years to make really good banana bread. Some were too sweet, too dry, or just boring. This recipe is fairly low sugar, which I like so Jim doesn't go all Type II on me, between his sweet tooth and my penchant for baking. I add ground flaxseed to this bread for a little oomph and omegas, as well as whole wheat pastry flour. If you want to add more nutritional value to your baked goods I really suggest baking with WWPF. It's finely milled so it bakes really similarly to white flour, but with many more minerals and more fiber. I also manage to add some walnuts, which add a little more texture and protein. Jim isn't big on "debris" in baked goods, but there are a few foods where I can get away with it. Even the cats like banana bread, which if you've ever seen a cat react to the smell of a raw banana, well, you know why that's weird!

2 yums up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog! Love the food and the funny comments.

Do most cats not like the smell of banana? I have two cats who beg for banana, and I always have to share with them.

Kris said...

My cats are repulsed by them! I'm not sure which is "normal" then. One of my cats will squint his eyes and wrinkle his nose just at the sight of the a banana!