Sunday, November 12, 2006

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over My Tummy! (and the tummies of others)

Oh boy, do I have some food pics!

On Friday night we had some friends over for dinner. Our friends Chris & his wife have a fantastic online weekly vegan comic called Totally Not Vegan! It is updated every Friday and it's very fun. They like to capture those moments, as a vegan, where you are humbled or baffled by others and the vegan experience. You can see the latest ones and the archives online.

Anyhow, we had them over for dinner and I made a dinner from bloggerland. I made Dreena's Morrocan Chickpea patties (with ginger dipping sauce), as well as Don't Get Mad's Green Goddess Potatoes and an incredible Hazlenut Red Wine Stuffed Mushroom recipe that Jess wrote, which will appear in the next issue of Herbivore. I forgot to take a picture until I was half way through my plate, but this is what it looked like:


My first time cooking with fennel and kale. Not too shabby!

For dessert, I wanted to make a treat from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, but I couldn't decide which kind to make, so I made two varieties: s'mores and chocolate orange.


You'd think, in Portland of all places, that you could find vegan graham crackers. Nope. But I used ginger snaps and they worked out deliciously. The recipe didn't have enough chocolate involved for my taste, only a sprinkling on top, so I smeared a layer of ganache on top of each cupcake before frosting them. To the left you can see the tops of the chocolate orange ones.

I never tried one of those chocolate orange candies before, so my decision to make these was out of pure curiousity. I was afraid that they were going to be too orangey- there's orange in the cake, in the pudding filling and marmalade on top- but they were perfect. It's all very subtle. An instant favorite.


These were especially fun because it was my first time piping a filling into a cupcake. I liked it so much, I don't know if I can go back to regular old unfilled ones! I also got to use some of the marmalade that I made this summer. It's spread in a super thin layer on top, under the ganache. You can't see the filling that well in the picture, but it's there.

Our lovely guests brought a treat for the hostess- fancy olives! I've just recently joined the land of grown-up olive-eaters and I'm enjoying the journey. These are so brilliantly green, they look like little apples in person. I'm not sure what kind they are (Kate, if you're reading this, little help?), but they are firm with an almost floral or fruity undertone.



I had some leftover orange pudding from the cupcakes and didn't want to waste it because it's heavenly on its own. So I used it to top some VwaV pumpkin pancakes the next morning, along side some rosemary potatoes.


I usually have thawed frozen fruit on my pancakes, I'm not really into maple syrup, so this was a nice change for me. I'm as in love with the pudding alone as I am with the cupcakes. It's incredible! Jim just stuck to dipping this dripping-with-EB-pancake-bites into a ramekin of maple syrup. Yuck.

Last night Jennifer McCann came to do a book signing of Vegan Lunch Box! She was just as sweet in person as I'd imagined. And much taller! But everyone is taller than me. No Shmoo, though. He's apparently very bored by the book and he and dad went to see the Star Wars exhibit at the science museum.

Here's an enormously dorky picture of my getting my book signed. And I have red eye. Sexy. Josh was taking the pictures, so this is best one. He's really into artistic angles. :)

After work, I called in a to-go order at Ya Hala and stopped to pick it up on my way home. Saturday nights there guarantee at least a 1-hour wait, so it's nice to stop in and just pick up your bag and eat it in the quiet oasis of home. Well, I got there and low and behold, the Shmoos were there, with some friends, patiently waiting for their table! So if that doesn't tell you something! Jennifer McCann comes to Portland and has dinner at Ya Hala, out of all the restaurants!

I have tomorrow AND Tuesday off, so some bulk cooking is guaranteed. Oh yeah, I think I have to draw a winner for the drawing too... ;)

21 comments:

Freedom said...

I think it's so cute that little Schmoo was the reason behind the development of Jennifer's book and he's bored by it! :-) Lucky you getting to meet the most famous lunch box packer around!
Oh and your food looks great too!

Anonymous said...

Those comics are so true and so funny. Espec. the ones about restaurant folk swearing something is vegan, not. I'm just a vegetarian, but I see this all the time "you mean vegetarians can't eat fish? chicken?"

Anonymous said...

lucky girl!
about the food! as always im very hungry when i read your blog, i wish i was your neighbord!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I would have loved to be Kate and Chris' shoes Friday night. Your dinner looks so delicious but the cupcakes look even better!!! How sweet of Kate to bring you olives. They are truly one of lifes finest delicacies. Good thinking to use the orange pudding on the pumpkin pancakes. I bet those two flavors together were very complimentary.

Melissa said...

I can't keep looking at yummy cupcakes and not have the book...its painful!

I've got some extra fennel I need to use, so I think I'll be making those patties soon.

Eat Peace Please said...

So much food! It all looks great. I am super jealous of those cupcakes. I wouldn't be able to go back to the non-piped filling either.

I think it's a cute photo of you! Everyone is taller than me too (even you, so add that to the list). Oh, and I have not entered the grown-up-land-of-eating-olives. What to do...

Congrats on a success for the first time with kale and fennel. Try some sloppy lenties with kale, or VwaV steamed kale with tahini sauce. Yum. Oh, and have you tried the Blueberry Maple Syrup recipe from Vive? That's the one I always use, it may be a good combo for you unless you really really don't like maple syrup. This post is awesome.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Kris, everyone is taller than me too, apparently there's a short female vegan club..
Again, so glad your dinner party worked out! The smores cupcakes were actually the only cupcake that was too sweet for me, believe it or not.
I really need to check out Ya Hala already - that and Pirate's Tavern, aye yi.

erica said...

Kris - you are so cute! And we have the same glasses, or at least similar.

Off topic: I tried to make seitan from VwaV, and I don't know if I did it wrong, but I don't think it was right, that's for sure. When I mixed the wet with the dry, it was just glop. Nothing you could even "knead", and definitely nothing you could form into a log. I added extra vital flour and "kneaded" twice more, ended up adding probably 3/4-1 cup extra vital flour. It still relaxed far too easily than what I thought it would be like, but I boiled it anyhow. I got the vital high-gluten flour from Proper Eats, so I don't think that was my problem - they would know the diff. between regular flour and vital. What do you think I did? Do you usually have to add extra flour? Is it supposed to be a glop type consistency? Is it something that takes lots and lots of practice to get right? :(

H said...

Hey-- I think they were Cerignola olives (I'll double check when I go back to the New Seasons). I like them because they are fruity.

Dinner was awesome and so were the cupcakes!

Anonymous said...

I've never looked for vegan graham crackers, but the graham cracker mixes for pie crusts are often vegan.

Go figure

Melissa said...

I've made my own graham crackers before to make crusts (the recipe was in La Dolce Vegan), and it was really easy. Also, Keebler's ready crusts are now vegan (at least the graham and chocolate ones are!)

H said...

Edit-- they are really Castelvetrano olives. Which may or may not be a type of Cerignola. I should really get a book about olives.

Nikk said...

Yum yum! So of course the cuppers look scrumptious, but I am all about those potatoes! :)

Candi said...

Kris, the dinner you made looks really incredible. I would have loved every part of it! I want to make those chickpea patties now! I cannot want for the recipe for those stuffed mushrooms! I love cooking with red wine! Oh, and the Green Goddess Potatoes...a favorite here as well! Lol!

Your cupcakes look so fancy!! :P I love the orange custard piped inside! We've made neither of those recipes, but I'd love to try them!

Good idea with the pancake topping! And the potatoes...rosemary? oooh, I want to live with you. Lol!!

The pic of you is very cute!!! Lucky to have that new book of Jennifers!! I'm sure she is as sweet as she sounds online.

Thanks for the awesome post and for the dinner (and dessert) ideas you've given us!!

aTxVegn said...

Great looking food, esp. the orange and chocolate cupcakes!

I have not yet learned to love olives. Maybe if I were into martinis......

I love the picture of you getting an autograph! I have so many autographed cookbooks. One time I tried to get a celebrity chef to say happy birthday to my sister over the phone, but she didn't answer - how dorky is that!

Anonymous said...

so jealous you got the book already. I'm hoping I'm one of the pre-orders that was shipped out before the release date!

I just saw Alton Brown's Good Eats show and it was all about olives. Check it out and you'll be overwhelmed at how much there is to know about olives!

Hannah said...

Like, OMG! those chocolate orange cupcakes look yummy!! I want one now!YAY!
Amber

Mindy said...

Wow, that all looks fantastic... but how did you get those pancakes to cook? I tried to make pumpkin pancakes this weekend too, using the waffle batter from VWAV and mine would NOT cook in the middle. I was so frustrated. They were gorgeous on the outside, then I could check the middle and they were mud. Ugh. It was really upsetting and we ended up eating cream of wheat.

Anonymous said...

Mindy, maybe your pancakes were too thick.

Ruthie said...

Hey I have glasses like yours as well! :) Here are mine:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3025/1753/1600/DSCF0018.jpg

And I stole this pic from Erica's blog:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5760/2951/1600/ho%20fro.jpg

Aparently they're very veggiesque.

Kris said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Erica, I'm not sure about your seitan experience. I've actually never made the seitan recipe from VwaV. Maybe next time add the liquids slowly and stop when it's the right consistency? You could always ask on theppk forum, Isa could probably give you some pointers.

Mindy, I'm not sure what I did differnet, except I halved the recipe. My batter was really thick and I cooked them on medium heat. I've had that problem before with them cooking well on the outside and not enough on the inside and my problem is usually that the temperature is too high.

And Kate, thanks for the head's up on the olives. They are so yummy, I'll definitely be getting more.