Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Quick Pre-Thanksgiving Post

Yesterday, which was 2 days before Thanksgiving, I went to the grocery store after work and they were directing traffic! It was madness, but I was able to pick up my last few items and also pop by a new location of a local pizza chain that just opened up in the same strip.


Here are some Hot Lips vegan slices. Red sauce with red bell pepper, onion, kalmata olives, basil pineapple and possibly some other things I'm forgetting. The pineapple was removed prior to eating. Not on our pizza, thanks.

Prepping some food stuff for the big day, I made some garlic potato filled pierogi.

Here they are post boiling, prior to going into the freezer for a quick freeze. They'll be served fried up with onions and Earth Balance, yum! Normally pierogi would be a Christmas dinner thing for my family, but this year I decided to change things up a bit.

There will be a turkey in the middle of our table this year and her name is Oakly.

This is the 3rd year we've participated in Farm Sanctuary's Turkey Adoption Program. Oakly caught more than just our eye, because Leslie cooincidentally adopted her too!

Our menu:
garbanzo, walnut and mushroom loaf wrapped in a puff pastry
sundried tomato foccacia
pierogi
mashed yam recipe with carmalized apples on top from Martha Stewart Living
stuffing, courtesy of Kate
cranberry sauce, courtesy of my sister-in-law Katie
roasted mini squash
chickpea gravy

pumpkin pie from Sweet Pea Bakery
banana peanut butter chocolate cake

There will be many pictures to show, I'm sure! I hope you all have a lovely, cruelty-free holiday with lots of food! Give your omni family members the greatest gift you can- a guilt trip about their eating habits! ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, pineapple on pizza.

All those great vegan options where you live, am I jealous.

bazu said...

Beautiful turkey! We just adopted our first turkey, and I cried when her picture came. (I'll post it within a couple of days).
And that pizza looks awesome.
Hope you're having/had a great Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

those perogies look fantastic...home made pastry I assume?

Candi said...

yum!! The perogies sound great!!

oh, congrats on sponsoring such a beautiful turkey!! We adopted Sunflower from the FS, but our photo hasn't come yet. I'll blog mine also when she comes. What a great program and a great feeling to have helped out!!

Happy Thanksgiving!! Hope it was fun!!

laura k said...

That pizza looks so good.. I think I would have left the pineapple on there! I'm so happy you adopted a turkey--how special!

Anonymous said...

potato filled pierogi. i never heard of that i may need to ask google, but they looks very good!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I love that you went the pierogi route! My boyfried would cry if I tried to take mashed potatoes out of the menu, I've made progress as it is making them roasted garlic instead of just earth balance and sea salt..

And of course, I also love that you adopted this gorgeously alive turkey.