Thursday, November 16, 2006

Newspaper article and the kitty parade!

There was an article run in the Portland Tribune this week about the vegan community here, the resources available, and the migration of vegans from all over the country. Because we moved here for the community, the writer interviewed me a few weeks ago. 1 1/2 hours of conversation yielded a quote I never actually said, but whatever, it's still a good article. You can read it here.

Okay, I decided to do a little sampling of my kitty pictures and put them up here. There are just so many of them and they are so cute! 3 years ago we bought a digital camera to "start documenting our life together". At this point that amounts to approximately 5-6 pictures of us and over 3000 of the cats. I'm not kidding. They are just so cute!



Here's a lovely picture of my sweet little Ravi. We adopted Ravi from a coworker of mine on Thanksgiving weekend 2002. He's a totally mama's boy.


Here are Ravi and Bindhi, snuggling next to our fake fireplace at an apartment we lived at in Mesa. This was the winter after we found her, so she's only about 6 months old in this pic. It's hard to tell, but she's a lot smaller than Ravi in this picture. Bindhi was found on the side of the road in AZ, in July and she was only 4 weeks old. But man, she was one tough little cat! She put us through the ringer!


This is a classic Bindhi moment, when she was a little kid. She dug out this roll of t.p. on her own, but she was so cute, I just had to capture the moment and let her play with it.


A cute picture of Linus that Jim took during an extensive photo shoot while he was figuring out all of the setting on our camera. Linus loves the camera and if you have it out, you have to take a picture of him or he will make your life hell. Every night I take pictures of my food, he hears the camera, walks into the kitchen and starts yelling, so I have to take his picture as well. Linus was from a shelter in Minnesota.


Linus and Ravi when Ravi was a wee one. My baby boys!


We hardly ever have them all in one spot. This was also when we lived in Mesa. Linus likes Bindhi's company, but he's never been very big on Bindhi touching him, so this is a big moment for them. You can see Ravi's legs sprawled in the background.

13 comments:

JENNA said...

i love that last picture. Ravi's legs all in the air and everything is cracking me up. He reminds me of my childhood cat Dusty. I use to have a simese that would dig out rolls of T.P. and wreck it all over the livingroom.

JENNA

laura k said...

I love those pics! Kitties make me feel all warm and fuzzy, and yours sure are beautiful. I can't wait until the day I can have a cat. But in my apartment right now, pets are a no-no.

Melissa said...

Ahahaha. Logan has ruined about 6 rolls of tp now...we finally started keeping the bathroom door closed ;)

I wish I had more than one kitty...when we get a bigger place, hopefully.

They're all so cute!

erica said...

Aw, Linus has sort of a Fred thing going on. I also have to always document when mine are close together, or yell at William to get the camera if they are close together- on me :) It's such a rare occurrece.

After seeing Jess' comment on the Tribune article, I had to grab a copy yesterday. Now you are famous! hehee :D

I'm excited for the vegan holiday festival tomorrow

Eat Peace Please said...

Thanks for sharing these! I can't get over all the cuteness.

I love the one with the legs up in the air, but the real favorite is the one of Linus and Ravi all snuggly. Super-cute.

Hannah said...

KITTIES!!! There SO cute! Thats relly funny, my cat carrys toilet paper around with her all the time! we have to put it on the highest shelf so she can't get it!lol!
Amber

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those! I loved seeing all the pics. I think the one with Ravi and Bindhi all snuggling together is priceless. Max (Bailey's blood brother who died of FIP about a year after we adopted him) and Bailey used to sleep like that also. They were always touching and snuggling. Sometimes it makes me sad that she doesn't have anyone to snuggle with anymore but she doesn't seem to want anyone. Whenever we have tried to bring another cat into the house, she's scared them all away!

I'm off to read that article.

Freedom said...

YOur cats are all sooooo beautiful, seeing these pictures makes me want to run to the nearest shelter and adopt more... unfortunately my parents (and probably the rescued kitty I already have!) would NOT be happy about this. But at least I have my one beautiful girl!

Anonymous said...

those kiti photos are too cute - especially the camoflauge one!

Ruthie said...

Kris:

#1 : THANK YOU !!! !!! !! !!! !!! !!! !! !!! !!! !!!! !!! !! !!! !! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I posted about my gift bag on my blog.

You are a wonderful person. :)

#2 : That toilet paper picture is so cute. :)

Ruthie

Ruthie said...

Oh and

#3 : Lena has a turboscratcher (that cardboard thing in the last picture) too and LOVES it! She sleeps on it as much as she scratches it. Poobear just sleeps on it. He was declawed when we got him. Poor thing.

Unknown said...

What ever happened to the orange kitty, Wesley??

Kris said...

Jenna, aren't cats and TP funny. Now Bindhi goes into the bathroom and unrolls the whole roll onto the floor.

Laura, it's too bad your apartment doesn't allow cats. You'll make a great kitty mama, though.

Melissa, the way we used to store out tp at that apartment made it too esy for her to get ahold of. One year for her birthday we just gave her a roll and let her go nuts.

Hey Erica! Stop by and say "hi" tomorrow. I'll be wearing the "all this and vegan too" shirt at the Herbivore booth.

Les, I have a ton of pictures of Ravi and Linus cuddling, but that's one of my favorites. They make an eye shape, so cute!

Thanks, Amber!

Thanks, Crystal! I was inspired of your adorable Bailey picture. I looked through our pictures and I couldn't pic just one!

Freedom, I know what you mean! If it was within my means I'd adopt a million of them... I'd have to have a little box room!

Thanks, Megan!

You're very welcome, Ruthie! Bindhi will actually pull the ball out of the track on the turbo scratcher and run off with it. She also likes to lay on her back and bat at it upside down. She's so silly.

Hi Sandy! We ended up finding Wesley a home with a mom and 2 adolescent daughters. They were really excited to take care of him. It ended up working out well for everyone, because our cats were getting less and less happy with the situation.