Monday, November 27, 2006

Monster post: Treats, Sweets and Some Real Food, Too.

I hope you all had a lovely weekend. My brother-in-law and his wife headed back up to Seattle late Friday night because Max had a lot of stuff to get done for a work project that was due today. Sadly, they missed out on weekend brunch. Now, I know this is going to be, like, the third time in the past month I've posted pumpkin pancakes using the VwaV waffle recipe, but this time there's a twist:



A new, fantastic way to use up extra cranberry sauce! Katie's cranberry sauce was dee-lish and I had to figure out a way to eat some more, since Jim won't help in that department. It was very yummy, alongside our standard rosemary potatoes.

Jim and I got to go on a little road trip on Sunday to Eugene, about 2 1/2 hours south of Portland. We finally sold a car that we've been trying to sell for a few months and the buyer, who lives in southern Oregon, asked if we could meet halfway. The weather was looking ominous, so we didn't get to do much exploring, but we did make a stop at a bakery that I'd heard much about, Sweet Life Patisserie . It is a hopping little bakery that offers quite the spread of vegan treats.


This isn't the best photo ever, but it gives you an idea of the amazing and beautiful cakes that were all vegan. All of their cakes, vegan and otherwise, were really well priced, too, with whole cakes ranging from $15-30. Not too shabby.


This is a shot of some Mexican chocolate pots and chocolate dipped cookie sandwiches, both of which are vegan.


Some muffins and some incredible looking cinnamon rolls, schmeared with a thick vegan frosting. Wowzers! Jim and I were overloaded with options!

Jim really wanted something savory. Unlike me, he can't eat sweets on an empty tank. This was a Mediterranean pizzatta:

A soft, doughy roll smeared with hummus, spinach and roasted red peppers.

I'm a full believer in dessert first, so I got a pizzatta to go and indulged in a slice of possibly the best cheesecake I've ever had:

This was a tofu-based cheesecake. I didn't really think it was possible for a tofu cheesecake to taste good, let alone unbelievable! It was truly creamy, flavorful, sweet without being too sweet and just plain heavenly. The crust had the occasional little granule of salt, making it a fantastic taste experience. Sweet Life is clearly a hot spot in Eugene, at 4 on a Sunday the place was packed and we had to sit outside in the chilly weather to get a seat.

Last night, after getting home from our trip, we started decorating our tree! This is the first year in 2 years that we've had a regular tree setup because Linus is so crappy with it, but I really, really wanted a tree. So far, so good.

It's over half decorated, minus about a foot and a half of the bottom to minimize destruction via chewing.

I gave Bindhi the aerial tour of the tree. She liked sniffing all of the ornaments.


Today I did some bulk cooking. I had a few random ingredients that I wasn't sure what to do with, so I turned to my trusted friend, Martha Stewart.

Let me take a moment to talk about my serious love for Martha. Many people criticize her and dislike her, but I genuinely respect her from the bottom of my heart and this is why: She came from a generation of women who began to shun the domesticity usually associtated with women and then the tide began to change and people looked down their nose on domestic things like cooking and crafting. Martha stepped up and showed that you can be a successful business person and still enjoy making table centerpieces. I spent a large portion of my adolescence feeling ashamed that I liked to do things like decorate cookies and make handmade gifts because I felt this societal pressure that I was supposed to be "beyond" that. Thankfully, people have hung in there and now there is a whole crafty industry thriving from what I trace back to Martha's trailblazing. You can have your cake and eat it, too, so to speak. You can be an independent woman and a feminist and you don't have to reject things that are historically "girly" to do so. Because you have the choice of whether or not to do it in the first place. So that is why I love Martha Stewart, even if she eats meat and can be a bitch. You can't be perfect, I suppose, and at least her daughter is a vegetarian and got Martha to swear off fur. It's a start.

Anyway, I had some mushrooms I really needed to do something with because they were on their way out. A quick search her website came up with this recipe for Mushroom Barley Soup.


I altered the recipe by using 2 cups of sliced, chopped fresh cremini mushrooms instead of the dried ones and instead of using some sour cream, I just whisked the flour and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into 1 cup of soy milk and added that to thicken it. I also pureed a couple of cups of the soup to really make it hardy and thick. I cooked up some wild rice to pack it up with for a very stick-to-your ribs meal that reminds me of Minnesota winters. I can never eat wild rice without thinking of Minnesota.

Then I wanted to try cooking with millet, which is new to my cooking and this recipe also used up a stray sweet potato that was lingering in my pantry as well.



These are millet Veggie Burgers. I didn't have any parsley or peas (how did I run out of peas?!), but otherwise I stuck to the recipe. This makes 8 really big patties, so next time I will halve the recipe. We really liked them a lot. The sesame seed oil along with the spices created a truly complex flavor. They are like other typical patties, a little delicate and I recommend refrigerating them for at least an hour. We just had them on a toasted Dave's Killer Bread baguette with baby romaine lettuce, tomato and the standard fixin's and some green beans, or as Jim decided to rename them tonight, green French fries. The boy is weird.

After dinner we had to have dessert! I couldn't leave Sweet Life having tried only one treat, so we got this chocolate raspberry cake to go.

It was just as heavenly as it looks, if a tad too rich, but it was good for sharing.

Breakfast muffins: I got to use up some more homemade marmalade with these Orange Marmalade muffins from May All Be Fed, the recipe portion of a John Robbins book.
alt="" />
The recipes in this book are really well-rounded and this particular muffin recipe has no added sugar, it uses the marmalade and orange juice for sweetness. They are yummy, but next time I'm going to add some vanilla to make them taste like orange creamsicles. I plan on doing more cooking from this book soon, it's been getting neglected on my book shelf.

Okay, now I've been up far too late! I need to go to bed, so I'll respond to comments on my previous post tomorrow. Night!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to have to move.

I like Martha too. Her old show used to be a oasis of calm. The new show, not so much, I just can't get used to the noise level and hecticness, so finally I gave up on it.

Dreena said...

Those are some wicked looking desserts - I'm with you 100%, I love desserts on a somewhat empty stomach, in fact I don't really like them right after a meal, somewhere in between meals is just perfect! yep, you and I would get along just fine...!

Nice looking millet burgers too - everything looks good, I'm just mesmerized by the desserts at this moment. :)

Anonymous said...

this post make me so, so hungry! i think that if im my future i need to move to Usa i will live close to you. love your vegan friendly city.

what a big beautifull tree.

aTxVegn said...

That bakery was quite a find! I would have gone broke in there!

Your Christmas tree is beautiful. I know you're happy to have that up and decorated.

You made good use of the millet! Isn't it yummy? The breakfast items and soup look so good too.

Eat Peace Please said...

Kris, you know you could have just had me along for the car ride down there and dropped me off at that bakery to stay all day! wow! what heaven that place looks like. I am certainly happy you picked up another cake to go.

Your tree looks festive and bright! I really hope the kitties (Linus) behaves with it. Have you started filling up your whole house with decorations yet?

I also like your take on Martha and why you like her, even if you do have to veganize most recipes.

And the green fries is funny! I probably would have been dreaming they were fries instead of beans, but the whole plate looks great (and healthier than real fries).

Nice post, Kris.

erica said...

I like Martha, too, although I feel guilty about it sometimes (not about crafting, but about liking her).

Those desserts look... wow.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

You know, I'm with Jim on this one - I would absolutely want something savoury first on an empty stomach, and to accompany the dessert and make it that much more perfect! What a trip, what a case, what cooking! We might be renting a flexcar when my sister visits and we just might have to go to Eugene for the day.

bazu said...

I eat desserts for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Holy vegan treats! Those photos make me so jealous! I also want to try the millet burgers- yum.

Candi said...

Oh! Congrats on selling the car AND finding that bakery! The cheesecake looks great. I order a mango cheesecake out here that is SO good, it's ridiculous. I can't tell it's tofu.

Your tree is beautiful, and Bindhi is really sweet!! Lol! I hope she doesn't climb it later. Lol!

Candi said...

Hi Kris! Thanks for your comment! :) My big Lab loves the attention. Lol!

I'm happy you'll visit Seattle and hope you get to hit up some great veg places! I'll list my favorites for you in order with the web links:

Cafe Flora! (seattle) Oh how good. They are veg with vegan choices too. So yummy and I loved the food I had there!

http://www.cafeflora.com/

The Teapot Vegetarian House (Seattle and Redmond locations) yummy Asian food and they are now ALL vegan. This is where I got the mango cheesecake! :P Their website is down right now, but I'll post the link in case it works soon:

http://www.teapotvegetarianhouse.com/

Hillside Quickies (Seattle, multiple locations) This sandwich shop is awesome. I'm sad to move since I love it so much! Lol! They have an awesome "Philly Cheese Steak!" They are 100% vegan.

http://www.hillsidequickie.com/

I hope those help! I know you'll love any one of those places!!

Nikk said...

I love Martha. :) What a pretty Christmas tree and yummy looking treats...

urban vegan said...

You sure live in a dessert paradise.

You r tree looks fab. We can't put up a tree becuase Bossa Nova will:
a) climb it
b) tear down all the decorations; and
c) chew on the lights

I'll just enjoy yours ;)

Anonymous said...

Those desserts are mind blowing. What a wonderful bakery. I'd definitely be making excuses to drive down to Eugene very frequently.

Carrie™ said...

The desserts look awesome! I wish I had a vegan bakery near me. But then again, maybe it's a good thing there isn't. I had to refrain from licking the screen at the picture of Jim's pizatta. OMG!! That looks soooo good.
My mom has her Christmas tree up already. I like to wait until December. YIKES! That's tomorrow. Now panic sets in.
I'm liking the sound of orange marmalade muffins too. Nice!

Anonymous said...

No kidding...what a post. I don't even no what to say..just wow.

aTxVegn said...

Just had to come back by and let you know I made the Gypsy Soup tonight. I was so good! Unfortunately, it's now soup weather, but at the same time good cuz I got to eat some awesome soup! Thanks for posting the recipe.

laura k said...

Wow, that really was a monster post.

I can't believe all those vegan treats! I don't understand why I can't have access to something as amazing as that!!!

Those millet burgers look so good--I would love to give them a try.