Sunday, October 15, 2006

Squirrel's Vegan Pumpkin

We used to leave out birdseed when we lived in Phoenix so the cats would have something interesting to watch while we were at work all day. Since moving to Portland, we don't really want birds hanging around just in case this whole bird flu thing blows up like they think it could. But we have all of these squirrels that live in the trees behind us and I wanted a way to feed them, while not attracting any birds.

I rememeber back a few years to when we lived in Minneapolis (yes, I like to move :) ). We had a carved pumpkin in front of our house that the squirrels just destroyed by tearing it apart and munching on it.


Exhibit A: Organic white pumpkin from Trader Joe's. $2.99. Quite the deal, eh?


Exhibit B: Squirrel's vegan pumpkin, carved in Squirrel's Vegan Kitchen, for the squirrels. Say that 5 times fast!

I also carved out random chunks and shapes for them around the pumkin, so they have an easier time getting at it. The previous owners of our house acutally had a squirrel feeder on the deck, so we put some chunks of pumpkin and seeds in there, too. I hope to get some picture of them tearing it apart, so I'll post them if I get 'em!


Tonight was "Teach Jim How to Make Chili" night. When I get sick this winter I want more than bowls of cereal and Ramen, dammit! I set out everything and then walked him through it. It was a simple chili, a can of diced tomatoes, some kidney beans, pinto beans and some frozen bell pepper slices. We had it with a hunk of mini wheat baguette with garlic buttah. For dessert, we tried some of the new (I think, I just saw them recently) Soy Delicious ice cream and sorbet bars. SO good. And they're low fat. We got the raspberry ones, vanilla ice cream with a raspberry sorbet swirl in them. Yum!

5 comments:

Eat Peace Please said...

I love your squirrel pumpkin. That's so kind of you. We have birdfeeders too but I haven't filled them in months. Killian will even watch ants walk by!

"Teach Jim how to make chili Night" was a great idea. I wish Ray had more time (and patience) for me to show him some basics. So how was it? It looks nice and thick and colorful.

I got some of those creamy orange bars yesterday (for 40% off) at the co-op. I have yet to try them. BTW, Saturday is the estimated opening for the new co-op. Like you care now, you live somewhere awesome! ha.

Anonymous said...

On my steps, the squirrels take a few bites out of a pumpkin and let it collapse. This year, plastic :-)

erica said...

I didn't know squirrels like pumpkin! But then again, the only thing I ever fed a squirrel was formula - and some cheerios near the end. Oh, now you're making me miss Grampy again. Oh, when will I get over that squirrel already?

bazu said...

Hey, that pumpkin is so cute! I've been wanting a white pumpkin- wish I lived near a Trader Joes...
I hope your "bait" works and you get some squirrel photos!
In the meanwhile, here is something for you to enjoy from cute overload.
Squirrel Pumpkin

bazu said...

Ooops, I don't think my link worked- sorry! You can go to cuteoverload.com and look for the squirrel/pumpkin post in the October archive...