Monday, August 14, 2006

A quick recap

Okay, time to recap. It's been really hectic over here lately, but here are a few yummies I've had time to crank out.


Marionberry muffins. Remember my big flat that I made jam with? Well, that was only half of them and a bunch ended up getting frozen. I pulled a bunch out for breakfast muffins last week. I always make my muffins jumbo size, regular just aren't enough.


Tonight I threw together a quick dinner with another curry-in-a-jar from Trader Joe's. Okay, so it wasn't really in a hurry, since it took me over an hour, but I didn't have to figure out spices, so that's enough for me. We had brown jasmine rice with some potatoes, carrots and chickpeas simmered in this coconut milk and lemon grass green curry. So good, definitely my favorite of the two vegan simmer sauces they have.


This afternoon I worked on dessert. A raw pie. I'm really desperate to try and curb my sugar intake, I'm just hooked on it and working on this cookbook has not helped with that! I have yet to meet a raw dessert that I don't love so I decided to try my hand at a tart. I don't like regular pies because I hate pie crust, but raw pie crust has always had a special place in my heart, so I made a simple crust with raw pecans and dates. The filling was simply 3 bananas I tossed into the food processor, then, as it was running, I dropped in mango slices. I let it set in the fridge then sliced my kiwis and Rainier cherries for the topping right before serving. It turned out great and totally satisfied my sweet tooth. More finicky Jim also loved it, especially because I peeled the skin off the kiwi. I always eat mine with the skin on, but I wanted him to enjoy the pie as well. I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow! And I won't have to feel guilty!

This weekend we also ate at a newer local vegan restaurant called Proper Eats. They are a very whole foods based restaurant with a great menu, local, organic produce and live music many nights of the week. I highly recommend going there if you are a Portlandian or will be passing through town. I took pictures of our food, but they were on my food and the lighting was so low, they look like crap. I highly recommend the raw hummus, I could have eaten a bucket of it!

11 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my gosh...that tart looks amazing! Yum.

KleoPatra said...

Love the fruit used in all sorts of ways. Marionberries haven't had this good in i don't know how long!!

Proper Eats looks like a FANTASTIC place. I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

That pie is incredible looking.

Is there a vegan graham cracker pie crust, I wonder?

I can't quite parse your last paragraph.

Anonymous said...

Kiwis with the skin on? Ick, ough, gak :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful raw pie!

erica said...

I <3 Proper Eats - they gave me a HUGE jicama they were saving for themselves for $1!

(I read your blog but don't believe I've commented before - hi)

Anonymous said...

Those muffins look tasty. The tart looks amazing! YUM!

I was so thrilled to read your comments about Proper Eats. The co-owner James is my mom's godson. His mom is my godmother. I live in Michigan so I haven't been there but it looks like an awesome place from the pictures I've seen.

Kelli said...

Oh, yum!! Yet again I wish I lived there, as Proper Eats sounds great! And that raw tart is AMAZING. . . I am so impressed! I also sympathize with your feelings about sugar addiction, as I am trying to lower my own sugar intake. And I'm trying to eat more whole, locally grown, organic foods. My local farmers market here in Houston offers a box of mixed organic fruit & veggies from a local farm for $16, and I hope to post pics and recipes on my blog once I start receiving them. Check it out in a couple of weeks:
www.veganprincess7.blogspot.com

Best wishes with the cookbook!
--Kelli

Shananigans said...

Wow, that tart is gorgeous! I’ve never heard of anyone eating kiwis with the skins on, I don’t think I’d enjoy that. I personally love pie crust, especially gram cracker. Different strokes, eh?

Proper Eats looks like an amazing place. Seems like there’s an abundance of veg friendly places in Portland. I’ve never been but I’d love to visit someday.

Anonymous said...

The pie is a piece of art. Beautiful and delicious too, I'm sure.

MeloMeals said...

What a gorgeous tart... and your curry looks great too