Thursday, July 13, 2006

Seattle Trip

I went up to Seattle on Tuesday to see my favorite musician Mason Jennings. Luckily, my brother-in-law and his wife live there so I had company and a place to crash. I got there early in the day and went to Sidecar which is the vegan store in Seattle. All of the money benefits a pig sanctuary just outside of town. They have eats much like Food Fight and they have some vegan stuff, like shirts and shoes, but the selection is a little less hip than you would expect. I picked up a new pair of Blackspot Sneakers, a new vinyl wallet and some other assorted little goodies.

From there I met up with an old high school friend. We were going to a vegan restaurant called Chaco Canyon Cafe, but when we got there they said they were having "issues" that day and were only doing take-away, not regular seating. We weren't really in a position to take food anywhere, so we went above the restaurant to another place called Cedar's, where I had some amazing falafel that I forgot to take a picture of. They coated the balls in tahini, rather than just drizzling it on them and it made all the difference. Excellent.

After lunch, I went and met up with my BiL and we hung out until his wife got home. Then it was, you guessed, time for more food! We went to a vegan thai restaurant (no, sadly they aren't vegan, but they've eaten at many of the vegan restaurants in Seattle) called Araya's. It was wonderful! Sorry about the picture quality, there was low light and I used my phone.


This was Katie's dish. I honestly cannot remember what she got, but it involved lots of veggies and a brown sauce.


Max had a drunken mushroom noodle bowl. They were literally the most incredible mushrooms I've ever tasted. I will definitely be getting that if we go back there again.


Good old reliable me, with my curry and coconut milk! What can I say, I know what I like!

Max and I went to the concert that evening and had a great time. The next morning I was going to head back down here, but not before a stop at Mighty O, the vegan donut shop. So, we get our donuts (I got a chocolate glaze and a strawberry glaze) and I'm walking to get napkins and I bump into this guy. I apologize and continue on my way. Then Max and I find a table, which happens to be right by the guy I bumped into. The place is a bit cramped and it's cafe-type seating. So, we sit down and Max leans over to me and says "The guy you bumped into is right behind you. It's Dave Matthews!" Well, I glance over and sure enough, he's literally within inches of me, enjoying vegan donuts and coffee with who I guessed to be his wife and his kids. Shows how much I pay attention, given that I almost fell into him and didn't even make direct eye contact! I think it's great that people in Seattle are respectful enough that he can do normal things even though he's mega famous. So yeah, there's my literal brush with fame!


I'll leave you all with this really cute picture of Moussa eating piece of spinach. So cute!

Bread idea winners will be annouced Saturday, I do believe.

9 comments:

Freedom said...

It's great to see Moussa enjoying her greens - my little ratty Spirit loves spinach too. I'm glad you had such a great experience at the restaurant!

Anonymous said...

How cute Moussa is. Sounds like you had a great adventure. Can't wait until I can visit Seattle again.

Brooke said...

Dave Matthews??? Cooooooooool......

Anonymous said...

Wow! Dave Matthews! He was my singer/song writer mega-crush in college. Gosh, I'm blushing already!

(And, thumbs up to him, for mowing the vegan donuts!)

Eat Peace Please said...

That's a funny story. At least your not one of those people that freaks out when "famous people" are around.

Moussa is the cutest! Oh, and that donut shop... if I went there, I'd eat the whole store out. Well, as much as I could fit into myself.

NightOwl said...

I LOVE Seattle, I LOVE Mighty-O's, and I LOVE sweet little Moussa!

karen said...

That is funny, that you literally "bumped" into Dave Matthews. I saw him up in Albany, NY. We had a great time. Vegan donuts and all that food sounds yummy...

KleoPatra said...

Moussa is sooooooo cute. Love the photo of her munchin' spinach.

I am a fan Dave Matthews' music, how cool to get close to him that way, and how neat that he eats veg donuts. I like him!

Your food... SO GREAT! Yummy! Love the plates as well. You 'n' your phone did nice work on the photo.

Seattle rocks my world. i hope to get back there someday!

Mama Fabun said...

Ah luv Mason Jennings.