Thursday, July 06, 2006

Nutty Weather

So, it was 100 degrees last week. Sweltering. Hot. If I wasn't full of psychological hang-ups I could have slept naked. This week it's been cooler and today it was cold! We had to turn the heat on last night! Today all I wanted was some soup, so I made some after work.


Tonight we had some quick corn chowder with wraps. I made the chowder with a diced onion, some cubed potatoes, carrots and corn and a carton of Imagine brand corn chowder soup. When it's all over and done I add a little rubbed sage to the pot. It makes 4 large servings for us. Sometimes I'll add seitan as well, if it's a main course, but tonight the seitan was in our wraps. I used tomato basil tortillas with fresh romaine and spinach, some tomatoes, seitan and a new roasted garlic dressing I found at the store. Neither one of us was too crazy about the dressing, as it was rather sweet and we both prefer savory dressings, but it wasn't bad. The tortillas were delish and really tender and fresh.


Well, Ravi is down a picture, so I found this cute one of him looking up at me from the coffee table. Yes, our cats can lay on the coffee table. Our rule is anything we can sit/put our feet on they can too, so no counters or kitchen table, but otherwise they have full run of the place. No, Ravi isn't pregnant, that's just his "orange sack" as we call it. He actually isn't fat, it's more like excess skin and our vet says she isn't concerned about it. Because of this, we call him a flying squirrel. Ravi and I have an extra special relationship and we are super close. He's such a little mama's boy. Sigh.

12 comments:

Eat Peace Please said...

Is Ravi for Shankar?

That soup-slash-wraps look awesome.

Anonymous said...

Is a cuteums kitty cat, yes um is :-)

Kris said...

Yep, Ravi is for Shankar. I'm a big Hindu/Eastern religion and music lover and I also love(d) George Harrison and his life and beliefs. Ravi is a little babyman.

Milinda said...

I feel such a fool because I grew up in the 70s but didn't discover Ravi Shankar until this year but only because of his daughter's music--not Norah but Anoushka.

I recognize the tortillas-They also make a spinach onion one that I like to cut up for chips: put them on a cookie sheet, give them a quick spray of olive oil & then a quick sprinkling of kosher salt. They've taken the place of munchie stuff for me.

Anonymous said...

3 of my 4 cats have the flabby pouch on their bellies. I was told it's something from way back, when cats lived in the wild. They could store a supply of fat in the pouch for times when prey was scarce. One of my cats at work (large, like Ravi) has an extra flappy pouch that sways back & forth when she runs. I call it her udder. The other cat at work also has a generous pouch. One cat at home has a smallish one, and the other cat doesn't have it at all.

Eat Peace Please said...

I'm right on with you with Ravi and if you didn't know already, I plan on playing (first learning) the sitar real soon. There's one in Flagstaff for sale. Love the name of the kitty. Killian also has a huge sagging tum. I love it and I squeeze it almost every time I pass by him!

Mindy said...

Adorable pic of Ravi :)

Milinda, your homemade chips sound great!

MeloMeals said...

food looks great... strange about the weather..

ravi is adorable

Mindy said...

It's not strange, that's just Portland. :)

Kris said...

Ooh, you'll have to keep me posted on your sitar adventures, Leslie. That sounds exciting to me. I love sitar. Jim has been desperately trying to find vegan tablas, but it doesn't seem that they make them.

I love Ravi's little chub. We call it his orange flubber and I kiss it all the time. He's very tolerant of me.

Ravi is a shy little guy, but he's very flattered by all your comments.

KleoPatra said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww! LOVE THE CUTIE KITTY!!!

Shananigans said...

Just catching up on your posts here. I love soup but it’s just been too plain hot and gorgeous here on SoCal for anything hot. I should learn to make some good cold soups. I’ve been practically living on berries, fruit, especially cherries, smoothies and salads with the odd veg dog thrown in there. I wish I were making more proper meals, but summer doesn’t really inspire me to spend much time in the kitchen. That Ravi is so cute! That fitness challenge sounds interesting, is it anything like Body for Life?