Wednesday, April 12, 2006

TVPcos and Veggie Burgers

In an attempt to lessen the bulk of food that we have stored about our apartment (especially in the freezer!) we're trying to eat up stuff that we don't want to go to waste/pack. So, it's been prepacked soy food dinners! But they've tasted good, so that's what matters, right?

Last night we had tacos made with TVP, whole wheat tortillas, some pico de gallo, lettuce, chips and organic salsa. Mmmm, salty. I swear, we have to start watching the salt intake. My love of salt almost rivals the fact that I'm a sugar whore. Almost.

I took some leftover tacos to work today for lunch. I tend to eat outside now that the weather is perfect in AZ (for the next week, at least). There's an area behind my work with actual GRASS and TREES. Not that I support growing those things in the desert at all, but that's a different topic for another day. Anyhow, after feeding most of my tortilla to the birds, I made my deformed taco and was munching away, reading, when a little piece of TVP dropped onto a paper I had. I brushed it off and thought nothing of it. A few minutes later an ant crawled by and was furiously inspecting the area where the TVP had fallen. So I broke off the smallest piece of TVP I could get (which was still huge compared to him) and he heaved it up and headed back home! Who'da thunk. Not that ants are that picky, but still...


Tonight I was craving veggie burgers and, wouldn't you know, we had 2 in the freezer! They were the Amy's California Veggie Burgers. We fancied them up with some ketchup and mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickles and Vegenaise (for Jim only, yuck!*). On the side we had some homemade steak fries and some steamed carrots and green beans which I tossed with lemon juice, fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. Mmmm, I have leftover veggies for lunch tomorrow!

All in all it was all good. We have a rather large pantry that I have filled rather well, yet I never have all the ingredients I need. Odd how that happens, no? Anyhow, I need to start working through it all, so you may see some strange concoctions in the weeks to come.

*Vegenaise is actually a very mayonnaisey tasting condiment, but I don't like mayonnaise or anything that resembles it. Ick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Yum!